used pontoon boat/party boat

suzieB

Cadet
I know nothing about boats. My family wants to replace our 1993 Godfrey Hurricane (20') with a similar type used boat. What brands are best? What MPH motor is necessary to allow for waterskiing behind the boat? How does one rate used boats?Any info that you experienced boaters can give us would be greatly appreciated. We will be using it on a small NH lake. Thanks-

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: used pontoon boat/party boat

Hurricane is a pretty good brand, what don't you like about your current boat?

If by "similar", you mean about 20', you will want about 150 HP to pull skiers, more is always better. With a used pontoon you will be looking more at condition and amenities than brand reputation. More info about what you are looking for will get you better answers.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You might want to find a pontoon boat that has the largest engine allowable by the manufacturer. With 25" pontoons, most would put a 90 hp on a 20' pontoon, a 115 hp on a 22 ft and a 150 hp on a 24' pontoon. You could ski with any of them. My 24' (115 hp) pontoon will pull skiers, however I'm really not comfortable in tight turns. A full hulled boat just does that job so much better than a two toon boat.

If money wasn't an issue, the best performers are tri-toons--especially with lifting strakes, commonly called high performance pontoons. They're best when used by 150 hp motors or larger, and they give incredible speed, handling and pulling ability for a skier. That's really the way to go, but the price is relatively high--even used.

Good luck!

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know nothing about boats. My family wants to replace our 1993 Godfrey Hurricane (20') with a similar type used boat. What brands are best? What MPH motor is necessary to allow for waterskiing behind the boat? How does one rate used boats?Any info that you experienced boaters can give us would be greatly appreciated. We will be using it on a small NH lake. Thanks-

I'm confused. You say you know nothing about boats but in the next sentence you state that your family wants to replace the family boat...... and you want a similar boat.

While pontoons are 'similar' to deck boats there are also many differences.

As stated above, more infomation about your requirements for a replacement boat will get many more informed answers.

And welcome to the forum.

suzieB

Cadet

Hi guys- Thanks so much for the info. I didn't want to bore you with the background info but I guess it's needed. My parents' had purchased a new '93 Godfrey. Four of us inherited the lake house and boat 9 years ago. The past two years, the boat has sunk several times and according to the local dealer it's due to a leak in the transom that can't be fixed. So- I have been asked to find out what used boat is best for our needs. One sister wants to be able to waterski. The others just use the boat to cruise around the small lake and for "booze cruises".

Two sisters insist that there are no pontoons on the current boat. They said there's a hull. Is there a reason why we should get a boat with a hull versus a pontoon boat? We can't go longer than 20' because that is all the dock will handle without the boat being pushed against rocks on the shore.

Do you think it's possible to find a used boat for under $12,000? Our current boat has an I/O motor. Should we purchase an outboard because it's easier for maintenance?
Can you recommend a 4 stroke engine brand? I figure that at some point, NH will outlaw 2 strokes (except some like E-Tecs) so 4 stroke is the way to go.

Any info you can provide will be helpful. If you can think of questions we should ask when we look at boats, that would be great.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, now we can narrow your choices.
A good skier will be very bored with a 20 foot pontoon boat even with the largest rated motor. But if she can compomise with the others, then you need at least 115 which is the max for most 20 footers.
Of course the pontoon shines for booze cruises.
Yes, you can find a good used pontoon for under 12 grand but you may have to travel a ways to get one with a 115.
I'm not aware of 20 foot pontoons with an I/O but most on here do not like I/O's on pontoons, and I'm in that group.
Most all engines made within the last 10 years are very good. I happen to like the 2-strokes and I can only assume that NH would grandfather in 2-strokes if any laws were passed.

Good luck and report back your findings.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hi suzie. Your sisters are right. What your parents bought is a deck boat. Not sure why the dealer say the leak can't be fixed.:confused: Maybe they mean it's not worth it, which may be the case if she's seen the bottom that many times. Anyway, I digress. I think everyone would be happy with another deck boat. They can be had in your price range with a little due diligence, and 20' is a good all around size for one. Just start checking CL, local classifieds, and here. http://boats.iboats.com/ If you run across something you think might work feel free to post a link and we'll give you our thoughts. Just remember the advice will be worth what you'll pay for it.;) Welcome aboard.:cool:

suzieB

Cadet

I think we're going to have to buy something somewhere near Salem, N.H. because we can't tow.
I'm a dork- I put an apostrophe after the word parents in my last post- it shouldn't be there and it's been bugging me. I know- total dork... Thanks again for your help- you're so kind!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Looky here. 21' barge with a 115 four stroke black motor and Yacht Club trailer for twelve Gs. Something like this would work for you girls (and your guys) and is not the least bit dorky.;):rolleyes: It's also only an hour from Salem. You could probably have it delivered for free or for a nominal fee. Take a peek.
http://boats.iboats.com/2003-jc-pontoon-boats-trident-t21/939466.html

suzieB

Cadet

Incoop- Wow! You are amazing. I sent them an e-mail to find out the year of the motor. Between a pontoon boat and a deck boat, is one more favorable? Is a deck boat basically the same as a pontoon boat except that it has a hull instead of pontoons?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Okay, if you want to replace the '93 with something similar this is about as similar as it gets. http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/2505408566.html As I recall you want a four stroke though, so this one wouldn't work. I just threw it on here for comparison's sake. As you can see, it has a semi-planing hull, which generally equals better performance (tighter turns, better speed, quicker hole shot, quicker recovery from turn induced drag, that sort of thing) but a potentially rougher and wetter ride due to the lower deadrise. On the other hand, since the JC is on pontoons it will deliver a drier and more comfy ride but won't be able to turn as fast or deliver as much speed as the deck boat. That said, since it has three toons it will perform quite well. Note the ski/tow bar already installed. You really need to get together with your crew to do some demoing.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Incoop- Wow! You are amazing. I sent them an e-mail to find out the year of the motor. Between a pontoon boat and a deck boat, is one more favorable? Is a deck boat basically the same as a pontoon boat except that it has a hull instead of pontoons?

IMHO, the deck boat is favorable for the skiing sister but the pontoon is favorable for the booze cruisers. And the pontoon Incoop found just may satisfy the skier.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Out of curiosity what makes you think NH will outlaw older outboards? My bet is you heard that from someone who sells 4 strokes and/or E-tecs. Other than some small actions by local and private entities (homowners associations), I've not heard of any action by any legislature or law enforcement or environmental agency to outlaw any outboard anywhere so far. I bet if you call those agancies in the state you want to operate the boat in they will tell you no such action is planned, or even being discussed.

The second ad is the closest thing to what you have now and IMHO the deck boat provides the best of both worlds, pontoon comfort and runabout performance. If you can live with the Yammy that is a sweet boat, and a good price too.

Edit: A second look at the deckboat ad and I see the 115hp motor. That boat is not necessarily underpowered with the 115, but it will certainly not be any super performer.

The JC is a proven performance hull for pontoons, and that package might be a better fit for your family.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'd got with the deck boat. They are easier to handle and they don't dent. We have a 24 ft pontoon boat.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Have owned JC's for the last 30 years or so and have gone through I/O's and outboards. They make an excellent pontoon. Not quite as plush as a Bennington, but the build quality is pretty equal in my opinion. They're also manufactured just down the road from me. So are Bennington's for that matter. I think you'd be fine with the JC.

How "good" of a skier is your sister? If she skis slalom, and cuts a lot, she'll get very bored, very quickly. That's the real question.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'd got with the deck boat. They are easier to handle and they don't dent.

Ummmmm, sorta. The amount of force required to dent pontoons is substantial enough that it would do a number on a glass boat as well. Easier to handle? A little perhaps, but not easier enough that it bears mentioning.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

How "good" of a skier is your sister? If she skis slalom, and cuts a lot, she'll get very bored, very quickly. That's the real question.

Very true. However, I'm guessing she's not expecting to be able to do that or she wouldn't be cool with a deck boat, right (not a rhetorical question)?

suzieB

Cadet

I don't know if anyone will see this since it's been such a long time. All of you gave me such great info and then a huge battle ensued among the four siblings. Now- months later, a sister and I have been ordered to find a boat by Memorial Day. We were told that we must make the decision. What's amazing is, my niece's husband is a boat captain who runs a ferry boat in Boston, and he refuses to give us advice. So- I just checked on Craig's List (NH) and found several 20 ft boats. The problem is, they all have motors that are between 50-60 mph on them. After reading your posts, I thought we needed a 115 mph. Am I mistaken?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is HP (horsepower) not MPH (miles per hour) when talking about the SIZE of the motor. 20 foot pontoons are typically powered with anything from a 40 - 75 HORSEPOWER motor. That size engine will will tow water toys (although slowly). Larger boats and water skiing need bigger engines. As fior the siblings, remind them that if you are responsible for deciding what is needed, then there will be no complaining. I would think the ferry captain would have some valuable input but then there are folks who drive cars that don't have a clue how they actually work so they would be the last person to take advice from if he is not savy about what the family needs. I don't envy y0ur position. I think it is extremely unfair to ask you to find a boat that makes everyone happy and then tack on a deadline besides. If money is no object then the process is easy.

suzieB

Cadet

Well- I am totally mortified about my mistake and very glad this is anonymous.:redface: Actually- I guess it confirms that I know nothing about boats! Thanks for the latest words of clarification and support. I'll check to see what the HP was on our original. Since I can't rely on my siblings, it is wonderful that all of you are willing to take the time to share your expertise. Thanks- suzie