78 Johnson 70HP seems like random fuel issues

patternghost

Cadet
Well, maybe not so random. I'm not an expert at this at all and I'm sure I'm missing something simple! Here's the story:

I bought a 70EL78C last year. Last week I rebuilt the carbs, put on a new tank and hose, and ran it in a tank. Worked great!

I took it out on the lake yesterday about 4 PM and it ran great, WOT and lots of fun. We shut it off and fished for about 10 minutes, nothing but snags so we moved. Motor started right off but would not advance much past idle. Anything beyond that and it would bog and die. Tank was vented. The bulb was soft so I pumped it up and checked for leaks, didn't see gas running out anywhere in the lines. I popped off the hose and ran a little gas out and started it up again. Again, started right up but would not go much past idle without bogging and dying.

Being an undaunted fisherman, stopped and fished while I scratched my head about the motor. Fish were biting like crazy, so we sat there for about 4 hours. The sunset was coming, so we pulled anchor. Motor started right up but still would sputter beyond idle. So we limped across the lake towards the dock. Right before the dock I tried the throttle again and it revved right up. Curious, I turned around and went WOT across the lake and then back again.

So, I have a good WOT at the start (4 PM, about 90 degrees). Sputtering after warmed up and off for 10 minutes. Sputtering after sitting for 4 hours (8 PM, much cooler outside), but after running for 10 minutes it goes back to WOT.

I've checked that the fuel filter is clean, made sure there are no kinks in the fuel lines, and rebuilt the carbs last week. I'm no expert, and the only other thing I think of is maybe these are rubber fuel lines and ethanol has done something to them?

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 78 Johnson 70HP seems like random fuel issues

You may need to do a link & syinc to the engine. Also, check compression on all cylinders.

patternghost

Cadet

I'll try that. If it was out of synch, would the motor still be able to run well at times and bog down at other times?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If it's still the original fuel lines and fuel pump, ethanol could be messing with you.

One symptom of being out of sync is, it dies when you try to accelerate quickly, but it'll make full RPMs if you can nurse it up to WOT.

Idle speed set too low, same thing. You have to set the idle speed with it in gear, in the water. Make it about 1000 if you're adjusting it on the muffs, then fine tune it at the lake.

How's the fuel quality?