Livewell Repair Question

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1981 Ranger 320-V Comanche with a livewell. The livewell drain has been adapted with a metal drain connector - it appears to be a standard "plumbing adaptor/connector" - it looks "similar" to the attached photo. I assume another fiitting is attached to this and extends through the livewell. A drain hose is then connected between this other fitting and the drain hole in the transom.

However, the drain plug in the livewell does not make a complete seal inside this metal connector. I want to replace the livewell drain with a better solution.

What do I look for? Would I use a thru-hull connector of the same diameter as the current drain?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Fitting.JPG
    Fitting.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Livewell Repair Question

What does it look like when you take the nipple off (part in the pic)? Can you take a pic of the inside of your livewell?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

When you say it doesn't make a good seal? Is the problem just a bad or cracked rubber drain plug. I can assure you a fitting like that is not factory. There are several solutions but like jigngrub said we'll need to see the inside of the livewell.

I can tell you that 90% just have a barbed fitting that is all one piece.

http://customlivewells.com/PlumbingandOverflow.aspx like the ones on this page....and then a standard rubber plug is inserted in them.

CW

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Attached are a couple photos...I apologize for poor quality, as they were taken with my cell phone.
I am attaching two photos - one from inside the livewell, and one behind it where the drain hose and pump is located.

The rubber plugs I had just would not seal into the "threaded plumbing connector"...which does not surprise me. So...I took the easy way out...and purchased a 3/8 inch threaded nipple which screwed into the connector already inside the livewell. I also purchased a smaller plug which will seal inside this threaded nipple.

I was somewhat afraid to attempt to remove the metal plumbing adaptor...I put a large pliers on it and attempted to turn it...was afraid I would damage the fiberglass livewell...and end up with a much larger problem. So...I think I have solved the problem..it is not pretty, but as long as it seals "both directions", then I am happy.
Livewell_R1.jpgPlumbing_R1.jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks the picture helped, I know what was done and you'll need to get to both sides to remove that fitting ( two people), anyway as long as you're okay with the fix, then all is well.