Mercruiser Alpha One Shift Problem

Deryl Sellmeyer

Recruit
I have a 2000 model Bayliner Capri, with a 135 h.p. 4cylinder GM engine and a Mercruiser Alpha One stern drive. My problem is that I yanked back a bit hard on the control to put it in reverse as I was coming into a dock, and then I could not get it out of reverse without killing the engine. Now I can shift into drive, but I have trouble getting it into neutral when its running. Also, I still can't get it back into neutral when it is in reverse and running. The boat is 2 1/2 hours away so I need to have an idea of what I should do when I get to the lake to work on it.
Let me know if I'm thinking right, because when I talk to repair shops they're guess is that the shift cable needs to be replaced for $400 to $500 with parts and labor. Here is what I've done to analyze the problem:
1.) I disconnected the shift cable at the shift plate mounted on the engine. I found that when the cable is pushed in the propeller will lock into gear counter clockwise. When the cable is only pulled halfway out the prop spins freely. When the shift cable is pulled all the way the prop will lock into place going clockwise. This makes me think the shift cable is not the problem.
2.) I checked to see if the shift interruptor switch is working by pressing the plunger pin in with a screw driver. This killed the engine as it should.
3.) I'm reading a Mercruiser manual and coming up with the idea that I probably need to disconnect the cable that goes to the control at the shift plate on the engine, and try to adjust the cable. Am I on the right track, or should I be towing this boat to the marina for an expensive repair?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser Alpha One Shift Problem

Was it hard to shift into either forward or reverse before the accident? Did it ever die coming out of either forward or reverse prior to the accident?

then I could not get it out of reverse without killing the engine.

That statement concerns me, it's telling me the shift interrupt switch is activating but the drive is not coming out of gear. It also says something is holding it in reverse, either the cable, or the drive.

I doubt your cables came out of adjustment, they have to be disconnected and a barrel nut turned to change the adjustement. IF things are off, something changed and is probably bent or damaged in some way.

eldplanko

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It seems you're on the right track... disconnect both the lower (as you have done) and upper shift cables at the shift plate.

When you moved the lower shift cable by hand (as described above), was it easy to move? Should be smooth like butter. If yes, there is no problem with the lower shift cable. If no, there is a problem with the lower shift cable.

With the upper shift cable disconnected at the shift plate, move the shift handle at the console. Was it easy to move? Should almost want to "fall" forward or backward. If yes, there is no problem in the upper shift cable. If no, there is a problem in the upper shift cable.

If there is no problem in the upper and lower shift cable, seems the problem could only be on the shift plate.

Deryl Sellmeyer

Recruit

When I move the lower shift cable it is smooth. I'll disconnect the upper shift cable and check it out. Thanks!

Deryl Sellmeyer

Recruit

Before I suddenly shifted the control back and caused my problem, it was easy to shift into forward and reverse, and, no, it never died coming out of forward and reverse. Even now it goes into forward gear with that same satisfying clunk sound that it always did when the engine is running. However, when you try to shift out of forward it is hard to get back into neutral when the engine is running.
When I shift into reverse the control does not seem to go back as far as it should, and I don't hear that satisfying clunk, though the gears do engage. I have to kill the engine to get the control out of reverse and back into neutral. Thanks for your help.

eldplanko

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I move the lower shift cable it is smooth.

When you do this, also verify that is it completley going into gear (i.e. locks both counterclockwise and clockwise).

Also, is the boat in the water or out of the water. Boat will need to be out of the water to confirm what I've described above. Also, will be helpful to have boat out of the water evaluate whether this problem persists w/o load on the prop.

Francin728

Cadet

Just a thought. I had a similar problem. The drive would stall whenever I would move the shifter into or out of gear. I noticed whenever the cable was shifted the shift interrupter switch was activated but it would not release. The spring on the bracket was worn out and did not apply enough pressure to release the bracket from the switch. I replaced the spring in the shift interrupter bracket and the problem was solved.

Deryl Sellmeyer

Recruit

I discovered that the shift lever adjustable stud on the shift plate, where the shift cable fastens, was in the middle of the slot. I moved it to the end of the slot and now it shifts just fine. I think I still need to adjust the remote control shift cable because there isn't much travel when you move the control to and from reverse, but that will be another day. The boat is perfectly driveable again. Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments.