Applying Bait Scent?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Wondering how you apply bait scent if you use it? Fresh or salt water.

I've tried scents plenty of times and never had any "better" result than normal. I just ordered what will most likely be my last attempt at scents if I don't see any change. I've picked up 2 scents from "Kick N Bass". I got the Crawfish one for Bass in the lakes and the Saltwater one in an attempt to get a better result on Striped Bass out in the rivers, sloughs, and bays.

Any advice on applying the scents?

What I usually use:

Lake: mostly a rubber worm

River/Bay: frozen choves, live grass shrimp, pile worms

I've seen bait injectors, but mostly just put it on whatever I'm casting and toss it out.

Is there a better way? Zip-lock bag over night? Injecting into rubber worms? Plumping a grass shrimp?

any good tricks?

thanks

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Applying Bait Scent?

i use spike it spray scent. i have always used some sort of scent. does it really work,am i throwing away money? i dont really know. but here is what i do know. i have a buddy that got me into the shaky head. i use the scent and he dont. some days he catches more than me or bigger than me. and other days its the other way around. i add it to my worm bags. soaking method i guess you would call it. it may just be a fad that caught on. i think it just gives me more confidence and covers human scent. and after a cast a fish may be called in from further away. who really knows but i will continue to use it. sometimes i will spray a little more on worm before casting it and my buddy will say im cheating again.lol

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

When ice fish fishn, we noticed after awhile that the person that handled the gas auger and drilled the holes had less success. I believe that's its as important to keep the hands that bait the hook free of gas, skeeter spray, after shave, what have you then adding a scent. If ya have a fish in the boat, you can always touch it and get a little slime on your fingers before ya touch your bait, lure or whatever...................maybe works as a cover scent, flavoring etc?????????????????

scipper77

Commander

I don't use scent and I do pretty good with finesse fishing. I would like to point out however that if you drop a live worm and a plastic worm next to each other fish will go to the live bait and ignore the fake one (assuming stationary).

Maybe you should try tipping your lures with worms??

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Brings me back to sunblock, which I always use. Now that I think about it, the last time I went fishing, I didn't catch anything after using it. Suggestions for using sunblack and fishing? Plastic gloves when putting it on my face, arm, and neck? And skip putting it on my hands?

Maybe using needle-nose pliers to put my rubber worms on?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Brings me back to sunblock, which I always use. Now that I think about it, the last time I went fishing, I didn't catch anything after using it. Suggestions for using sunblack and fishing? Plastic gloves when putting it on my face, arm, and neck? And skip putting it on my hands?

Maybe using needle-nose pliers to put my rubber worms on?

Sun block and insect repellent are sure ways to get skunked, I learned the hard way. Latex gloves will help.

I like the Fish Formula shad or crawfish scents for my Roostertails, I catch twice as many fish than the other people that are fishing with me that don't use it... and after a while the want to "borrow" some.

I use Spike-it garlic scent on my Crappie jigs and do well with them... makes me hungry for pizza and spaghetti whenever I use it though.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

We call it "cheating juice", and most folks who use it are suckers for a great marketing plan. Most fishing gadgets are just that, but if it gives you confidence, then I say go for it. Some guys spray spoons with wd40 when trolling for kings, I really have never seem any difference. I just like to have fun with folks who swear by it, as I land my last walleye, for a limit.
I do add green food coloring to my worm bedding, and the color does seem to do better....some of the time. I dont really think fish can tell the difference, if they SEE it, they will usually bite!!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

What happened to the OLD stinky OFF! bug repellent? We always needed plenty to fish old overgrown ponds or in the dark, but we caught alot of fish! it must have tasted more like WD40 than the new stuff.:D

I was getting skunked everytime I went fishing like 5 times in a row and I thought it was because of the sunblock. After my discovery of the sunblock issue I started putting my sunblock on at the house and the washing my hands with permatex hand cleaner to make sure it was all off of my hands, ever since I have not gone a single trip and came home skunked. I also make sure that I fuel up and pack everything the night before so I don't get that gasd smell on my hands.

And speaking of WD-40, my buddy sprays it on his hands while we are fishing to keep the powerbait from sticking all over and it doesn't seem to bother the fish. Infact me and my son cleaend our rods and reels today with a little WD-40 and lubed the reels up too, figured it can't hurt.

I have not had much luck with all the fancy spray on bait scents though, I think the biggest thing is just targeting where the fish are at and presenting the bait however the want it that day.

fishrdan

Admiral

I've put a small piece of paper towel soaked in pure anise extract in my tackle trays and it scents the lures. The stuff is really pungent and covers up human scents well. In my hanging tackle box for big soft plastics, I soaked a kitchen sponge with it, threw it in the bottom, and now all the lures are anise stinky. This isn't the cooking anise extract from the grocery store, it's stronger. A 6-8oz bottle is about $8 off Ebay and it goes a looooong way.

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

you call it 'cheater juice' but you say it doesnt work?? how would it be cheating then?

WD40 works but it isn't good for the environment and your not allowed to use it in most (if not all) places. i guess its the oily scent trail that it leaves behind the bait... ?

I bought a spray bottle of scent and tried it out with no luck (a few occasions). i had heard to get a scent that was amino acid(protein) based since that is what the fish would taste if it were eating a live crawdad or whatever... so i bought a tube of 'mega strike' ( i think thats the name), and i cannot say that it works great but i have caught fish using it. i would assume that it covers up the human smell at least. i use it whenever i can because i really can't see it hurting anything and when fishing in tournaments i need all the help i can get :D

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

I just tried a new to me lure called a cut plug. I was told to use tuna in a can with oil and garlic, not the stuff in water. I have to say, it has produced about 65-70% of our fish. by the way, I troll for salmon, rainbow and brown trout on Lake Michigan. We usually run 9 lines. The first day I tried one, I only had 1 to try. Out of the 15 fish we got that day, 11 were from that lure!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Cheating juice is just a fun word I use for suckers who buy the stuff. And I mean no harm, by my words. By all means if you think it helps, and are willing to pay for it, then have fun. I do beleive the sun tan oils and gas odors will reduce your catch rates, but I have never seen any spray on anything that improved any catch rates. Marketing these products must be fun, because they do sell, just not to me.