1971 60esl71c water in gear oil

05blastsrt4

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

Recently I got my boat running that I purchased, I drained changed the gear oil before ever taking it out and all looked fine. However after taking it out today I checked the oil and it was pretty milky. I do not see any leaks coming from the prop shaft nor any leaks out of the fill holes. The only thing I have had off that could possibly be letting water in is the electric shift solenoid cover on top of the lower unit:confused. I guess my question is, is it possible for water to get in the gear case from there?? :confused:

edit:
Some more information, I did notice some gear oil coming out of the hole in the picture marked with the red dot, not sure if this helps or not.

lower.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1971 60esl71c water in gear oil

The most common cause of water intrusion into the gearcase is failing to use new gaskets (#46) EVERY time the plugs are removed.

05blastsrt4

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply,

I have ordered the new gaskets for the fill holes, and also a new gasket for the electric shift solenoid just to be safe since I have had that off.

05blastsrt4

Seaman Apprentice

ok all I had some time to tear into it, here's what I found:
there was milky oil on top of the bearing/seal housing on the driveshaft right beneath the water pump impeller plate. So the seal must be leaking, I have ordered a new housing with bearing and seal. I also found the seal on top of the water pump was shot allowing water to escape between the driveshaft and the impeller housing. New parts are coming so hopefully this will fix it, I'm sure the new seal on the water pump will definately help with water flow.

05blastsrt4

Seaman Apprentice

ok 1 last update,
got all the parts today and got them installed. Took the boat out for 4 hours. Came back and popped the drain and the fluid came out looking just like I put it in, so everything is well.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad you got your problem fixed.