Want to mount ski pylon in Maxum 1800MX, what's under the deck?

chiroken

Seaman
Hello, I've got a Maxum 1800MX, mercruiser 3.0L. I've mounted a kicker off the swim platform that now interferes with the ski toe eye as the mount & motor are now above the height of the eye. I am wanting to bolt a ski pylon to the floor just in front of the motor cover latch. I want to use a plate on the underside to bolt right through, sandwiching the deck, rather than just screwing the pylon base down. This area is inaccessible and I need to know what is in that compartment??? I am assuming it is free space filled with expandable styrofoam.

The area is about 2' long and runs from the stern end of the ski locker back to the where the motor compartment is. It is not accessible from the motor side. From the ski locker side there are 3 small holes about 1" across the back plywood wall of the ski locker. The holes are mostly covered with fibreglass, looks like I can see some styrofoam through one of them.

What I am thinking is cutting a hole near the top of this rear ski locker wall about 2" high by 7" wide. Just enough to fit my hand back there and hold the bottom plate in place and put on the nuts to hold the pylon base. After the pylon is mounted I would make a cover plate with a rubber gasket or something to cover up the hole and prevent water getting into that space.

Any out there that can help???

The pics show the area between the ski locker and the motor, as well as a shot from inside the ski locker showing the back fibreglassed plywood wall with a small hole near the top.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Attachments

• boat deck 001lg.jpg
    boat deck 001lg.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1
  • boat deck 003lg.jpg
    boat deck 003lg.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1
  • boat deck 004lg.jpg
    boat deck 004lg.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1