No Start Question

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class
2000 Reinell Volvo/Penta 5.0 GL with SX outdrive.
Had the boat out for a day of tubing and cruising on Sunday. After being stopped for awhile I went to start the boat and absolutely nothing. Thought maybe the neutral lock out on the gear shift. I moved the gear shift forward then back to neutral and the boat started right up. At the end of the day we were about 100 yards off the ramp and turned off the boat to prepare it for taking out of the water. When we were ready to go, no start. Moved the gear shift into forward then back to neutral like earlier but still nothing. Tried this a number of times and still got no start. Was thinking if not the neutral lock out maybe an ignition switch problem. We got a tow back to the dock and while waiting at the dock I asked my wife to try and start it. Started right up. Now I wonder if it's a temperature thing as the motor was off for a good 45 minutes. Got home, put the muffs on and it started right up. I can easily replace the ignition switch but if that's not it which direction do I go to diagnose the problem?

Thanks

jgresham75

Seaman
Re: No Start Question

More information is needed. When you say it didn't start, did the starter engage but the engine not crank or did the starter not even engage?

It could be a heat problem but there are several areas. Depending on your answer above, it could be the starter. The starter is located next to the hot motor and could cause intermitent problems. There are also relays that could be going back intermittently. The best way is to use a multi meter to narrow the error but this requires having one when the engine doesn't start.

If the starter engages but the engine does not turn over, it could be related to fuel, either fuel itself or fuel circuit (pump, relay connection).

If the starter does engage, it is most likely electrical and you must trace back. First seeing is you get electricity at the switch and then going from there back to the engine, then to places like the starter solenoid. Could be anywhere in the line from battery up to the starter switch, kill switch back to the solenoid.

This is one of those where you need to start by eliminating things are working. Hope this helps.

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: No Start Question

Thanks for the reply. When I attempted to start the engine I got absolutely nothing. The engine did not try to turn over. Imagine the ignition switch not wired to anything and you turned the key. Complete silence!