Need advice; planning to buy a cruiser

Rick Hill

Recruit
I'm going to purchase a used cruiser, and I already have a marine inspection planned. I need some input as to purchasing one "water ready," or one I can plan on replacing drive systems including a new engine or engines. Thank Y'all.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Need advice; planning to buy a cruiser

What sized vessel? How many engines? Generator? What year range? What price range? What are your mechanical abilities? What are your plans for use of the boat? How soon do you want it water ready?

Need more info for a solid answer, please.

Rick Hill

Recruit

Appreciate the response. I'm looking at 21-30 ft. cruiser. I'm leaning to twin engines, but single "dependable" is considerable. I have about 30,000 to spend, Excellent mechanical abilities but no experience in marine mechanics. Overnights and island visits are #1 with some fishing gulf water #2. I'd like to be on the water "last" week, but am willing to the necessary work to ensure safety and dependability.
Thanks,

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

I bought my first cruiser in June. I picked up a 1990 30' Carver express from the local repo yard for $2500. It had not run in 5 years! 1000 in parts and 100hrs of work , she runs great!

Attachments

• DSCN1409.jpg
    DSCN1409.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1646.jpg
    DSCN1646.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1647.jpg
    DSCN1647.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0

Rick Hill

Recruit

That's exactly the plan. I'm afraid to buy something "running" as I won't know exactly what I have. If I commit to the work, I'll know what I have. Does this make sense?

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

You'd better be planning on a "survey" and not just a "marine inspection". Find a fully licensed surveyor, and a separate and also accredited marine mechanic. Will cost you nearly $1k but it's ALWAYS worth it.

Be particularly aware that some boats in certain age ranges are suspect for hull rot (particularly cored boats).

Condition will be the guide, not brand or age, but with up to 30k to spend you'll find an awesome boat pretty easily.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

21'-30' is a large discrepancy. I would bet your looking more for a 28-32' boat. If trailering is of no real concern.

With a $30K budget, you actually could find yourself a well kept, low hour boat. I see your point about a repower, and don't blame you on that front, but a motor with decent hours, that checks out well with a leak down and compression test should last for some time. I have my boat, running great, listed for 1/3 of what your looking to spend, and there is no immediate reasons it needs a repower. Even at that, a pair of brand new 350 inboards can be had for $5000-6000 a piece (at my last check). So even with enjoying a boat for a year or two (probably more, but I'm looking at a shorter picture), putting $10-12K into motors, and knowing you have many more years sounds reasonable to me. Not to mention you would still be well under $30K.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

21' would be a bit small for what your plans are, especially if you're leaning towards dual engines. When considering the engines, don't discount outboards. there are a lot of nice, bigger boats spinning dual 250's (or better) hanging off the transom. Maintenance is easier on those, simply for the accesss considerations.

Overnight camping trips are great, but you'll also want to lean toward something with a generator and A/C. You might be able to take the heat/mugginess, but can the company you'll have aboard?

There are plenty of 26-28' trailerable boats for what you're wanting to do. go with the marine inspection and engine diagnostics. Even if you decide to repower, what makes you think it can't break down. Even new engines have issues. Find a great running boat and go have fun.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't say if it will be slipped or trailered, but if slip-kept then +1 on the AC and -1 on the genny (unless you really need it on the hook or underway). That size boat, with twins and a genny, will have no room to work. And older generators can be tough to maintain as they are sometimes infrequently used and suffer from various mystical ailments.

Avoid dual 470's at all costs.

Totally agree on repower concerns -- non issue if you buy well at that price. They'll be fine. If you really want bang-for-buck, spend about 15k-20k on a mechanically and structurally sound boat (early '90's Sea Ray 280 for example) and then invest in new cosmetics & canvas (plus the inevitable other stuff).

AND GET A PROPER SURVEY !!!