Mercury Black Max 150 xr2 wont get on plane or get over 2000rpm

teamfth

Recruit
i just bought the boat the other day knowing it not running right but it will idle just fine and give it gas in neutral and it will reve up just fine. under a load it wont get over 2000rpms. i cleaned the carbs, put new fuel pump on,power pack,fuel line, fuel bulb and gas tank. and it is still doing it. its fireing on all six cylinder and all cylinder have compression in the range of 135-145. i dont belive it is a fuel problem though it acts like it. the boat never sat up on the lake every weekend i know the man that owned it . please help me quick thanks for the help!!!

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury Black Max 150 xr2 wont get on plane or get over 2000rpm

Here is the fuel side test. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283363
If you are sure it is not the fuel side, then it is the ignition. This site is about helping you fix the problem and giving you a series of diagnostics to fix it. Are you trying to do the repair or are you safeguarding yourself from the boat repairman?

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hope you kept your old power pack,those things are expensive.Check your STATOR and I think you will solve your problem.Also run tests before you buy a new one.Also check all grounds and connections are secure,especially ignition related.You will need a manual of course.Good Luck

teamfth

Recruit

Hope you kept your old power pack,those things are expensive.Check your STATOR and I think you will solve your problem.Also run tests before you buy a new one.Also check all grounds and connections are secure,especially ignition related.You will need a manual of course.Good Luck

I checked the stator and all the wires except for the solid blue one is showing a reading. You can wiggle the wire that's going into the stator while holding it on the solid blue and it will give a reading for a second then go off so I belive the stator is my problem. Thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The stator has low speed and high speed windings for both switchboxes plus a set of charge coils for battery charging.

Your symptoms are those of a failing high speed winding, not making enough voltage/current to fire the ignition at higher speeds.

Since there is NO RETURN on electrical parts you want to PROVE that using the DVA testing as spelled out in the FREE Ignition Troubleshooting Guide available on the Support page of CDIElectronics.com

Once your prove the stator bad feel free to unwrap the leads to see if it is broken in a place that is repairable, it might save you a couple hundred bucks. If not, then order your new stator.