23 foot Doral with Mercruiser 5.0

sillikerw

Recruit
Just wondering if anyone else has this boat with same engine or another 23 footer with this engine. I was wondering what kind of top speed and rpm's i should be running and what prop. I am a new boater and woudl like some input. Thanks

TheBlizzard

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 23 foot Doral with Mercruiser 5.0

More info would be nice but I have a 20' cuddy a 5.0 Mercruiser and I run a 19pitch 3 blade 14 1/2 diameter. With your extra weight I would say a 17pitch 3 blade or even a 4 blade might be a nice choice. Your RPMs should be 4400-4600 at WOT.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

There is not anywhere near enough information in the question to provide a meaningful answer. Is this a 1972 Doral or a 2011 Doral? Or somewhere in-between maybe?

New MPI 5.0 Vortecs should be propped to spin near 5,000 rpms and produce 270 hp, whereas many of the older pre-vortec 5.0's made their power in the 4,200 range, and were rated nearly 100 hp less than the new ones are...

So unfortunately we have no idea what you're asking about here...

Please share some more specifics and we're happy to try to help ya out! Welcome to Iboats!!

sillikerw

Recruit

Hey guys sorrry for the lack of info.. It is a 98 Doral 230 with a carberated 5.0 merc. I currently am running a 14.25 x 19pitch and am running around 3900-4000 at WOT and about 38mph> Would going to a 17 give me more top end? How would this affect me out of the hole?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Indeed if you are only able to go 3,900-4,000 at WOT, you're under-revving. Was that absolutely full speed and trimmed out?

If yes, you're quite shy of where you should be. A 1998 5.0 is most likely a Vortec, 220 hp 2bbl version, will most likely have a sticker on top of the motor that recommends 4,400 to 4,800 operating range. You are currently 400 to 500 shy of the MINIMUM. This means your current propping will make the boat both slow out of the hole, and slow on top speed as well. It also creates unnecessary added strain on the motor and accellerates wear & tear.

So yes a 17 will help on all counts probably. Particularly on holeshot. And I wouldn't be surprised if you'd get even better results and end up needing to use a 16 or a 15...I always feel that targeting the top end of your range is best for overall performance and responsiveness...so you should strive for 4,700 to 4,800 at full speed in a perfect world. This may vary a little bit depending on your intended usage...

Assuming your motor is well tuned, running at its peak, proper ignition timing, strong compression, your tach is correct, and you are using your trim properly to get up to full speed/rpm, then indeed you need to move to a smaller pitch.

If you are able to share with us your outdrive ratio, we can answer even more of these questions. Should be stamped somewhere on your outdrive. Something tells me it's probably a 1.62. If yes, the numbers line up and indicate that you probably have valid data (good tach, accurate speed). It does NOT tell me if your motor is tuned properly however...only you can do that. Often times a solid tune-up is worth many RPMS and MPH's...and results in no need for a re-prop....

Not sure if this is a cuddy or a bowrider...but in any event 23 ft is a rather big boat for a motor that size. A little underpowered IMO. So I wouldn't expect miracles on top speed, but I would think 40 to 45 mph would be a reasonably expected top-end if set up properly.