1980 Mariner/Yamaha 25 HP issues

jpatti75

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1980 25HP Mariner made by Yamaha (20" long shaft). It has a couple of issues, the first being it needs a lower unit. I'd appreciate any recommendations on used parts sources for Yamahas. I have emailed a few places and am not having a lot of luck.

Also, the previous owner had it set-up for remote operation, and I am going to convert it over to a tiller. I'd greatly appreciate picture of the throttle linkage, as I am having a hard time figuring out what needs to removed (i.e. what was associated with the remote controlled throttle) and how to properly hook-up the tiller cables. I am sure a picture or two would clear things up nicely.

Thanks!
JP

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1980 Mariner/Yamaha 25 HP issues

ONLY the powerhead is Yamaha, even the wiring is different.
Will move this over to the Merc/Mariner forum for you.

jpatti75

Recruit
Re: 1980 Mariner/Yamaha 25 HP issues

Interesting ... I was told by Mercury that it was a Merc/Mariner powerhead and the rest was Yamaha, and I have been told it was all Yamaha by most guys I've talked to about it. I do know that the lower unit is not interchangeable with Mercury lowers. Must be unique to the Mariner line.

But, more importantly, any guidance (and pictures) on the tiller throttle linkage would be greatly appreciated! I like my 50's and 60's motors to these "new fangled" ones! (Yep, even my auto tranny Mercs)

Thanks!
JP