Steering System Replacement--Recommendations?

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1970's pontoon boat has a Mercruiser 140 with a "Late Model I" stern drive. The steering has gotten to be extremely stiff. I disconnected the cable from the sterndrive yoke and the sterndrive moves easily (I keep the fittings greased, as well). I took the steering box apart--as I recall it was a "SteerMaster" or some other name I'd never heard of. I greased it up inside and with my son's two hands and mine, got it reassembled. There is a grease fitting at the sterndrive end of the cable, under the boat, where the cable joins the steering tube and is mounted in a bracket. I greased that fitting, but grease just pushes out the o-ring seal and falls into the bilge. The steering is better, but still pretty awful.

So I think I'm going to replace the steering system (box and cable). I can't afford the hydraulic systems. There are so many cable systerms out there--what would you guys recommend for this? The Teleflex Safe-T QC caught my eye. But I don't know if I should be looking at rack steering or "no feedback" steering or what.

Any input would be great, thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering System Replacement--Recommendations?

There is a grease fitting at the sterndrive end of the cable, under the boat, where the cable joins the steering tube and is mounted in a bracket.

Ayuh,... Take the cable Outa the Tube, 'n clean, 'n grease the tube, before ya replace anythin'.... ;)

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I went through the Mercruiser manual, especially Section 7B - Steering Systems, and I don't see any discussion on how to take apart the steering tube assembly. Any advice so I don't screw it up? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Merc manual does not tell you how or give you step by step directions for fixing corrosion problems.
Disconnect the steering cable at the transom and remove it from the aluminum tube it goes through. The corrosion is in that tube. With a 1970's boat, it may very well be a steering cable, buy before you start spending close the $200 for parts, check the tube.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you want to try and free it up rig up a hose clamped to the jacket of disconnected end of cable sticking past all protrusions about a foot. Fill hose with light oil,clamp a pipe fitting to open end, adapt that fitting to air hose compatible,position apparatus so gravity helps direct oil into cable, hook up your compressor at abt 5 or 10 psi,(to pressurize oil,force it into cable) leave for a day or so cranking wheel occasionally,works wonders.Better yet if your cable is that old chunk it and get new NO FEEDBACK steering.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies, guys. My son and I again disconnected the cable at the sterndrive arm. Then when we turned the wheel we could hear there was something wrong in the steering box. Took it all apart again and the big round rotary casting was cracked and the cable was started to break where it was bent to go into the casting.

So now I am looking at new systems. Do the "no feedback" systems basically lock the cable in position, and how do they do that? I know I only need a single cable system, because it's only a 140 and doesn't go much over 20 knots.

On the old cable, not entirely sure what I should measure from/to.

Thanks.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found the section in the Teleflex manual on measuring the old cable. Also heard back from Teleflex tech support, they recommended the NFB 4.2 SS147__. So just have some measuring to do. Thanks.