1996 mercruiser Bravo duel prop

wakina

Seaman
Are there any issues that would prevent any of you from buying a 1996 boat powered with a mercruiser 5.7 LX 265hp, especially with the bravo duel prop outdrive unit. I am concerned that this early model of Bravo outdrive may have had engineering defects that made it an expensive unit to maintain with a lot of mechanical break downs. I read some bad comments about this drive and thought I would post the question here.

The boat in question is a 1996 Proline 230 Walkaround that I am having surveyed but would like some other opinions about this outdrive unit.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 mercruiser Bravo duel prop

if you plan on keeping it in the water.............Google Bravo 3 corrosion issues....lots of good reading

TilliamWe

Banned

Corrosion is the biggest issue. You need to remove the props (special BIG prop wrenches required, not the usual prop wrench) to inspect the rear bearing carrier. That is the part, if it corrodes bad enough, allows the oil seal to fail and for water to enter the drive. If there was no corrosion, and on a sea trial it shifted in and out of gear properly, I would have no hesitation buying a 96 model boat with a B3.

wakina

Seaman

I would like to thank those who have replied to my question it has helped me alot and has given me a place to check out on the drive unit. I will be going back to the broker this weekend and hope to get my questions answered and inspect the rear bearing carrier for corrosion problems.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Also, merc has improved the outer shaft carrier seal. It solved alot of problems with loosing gear oil from the monitor.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would like to thank those who have replied to my question it has helped me alot and has given me a place to check out on the drive unit. I will be going back to the broker this weekend and hope to get my questions answered and inspect the rear bearing carrier for corrosion problems.

Howdy,

Since you're in Ohio, you do not have to worry about salt water corrosion. If the boat was moored in fresh water it can still happen but at a much lower rate.

You'll want to determine if the boat was parked in the water all the time but it should be obvious if it's covered with salt or fresh water marine growth or it wasn't cleaned up well.

If you're paying a Surveyor to check it out you might quiz him on Bravo III corrosion problems (after you educate yourself on them)

I love my Bravo III. I wouldn't trade it for anything (except another Bravo III!!!)

Cheers,

Rick
B3.gif