1997 Force 120 Won't Start

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Everyone,
I need helps PLEASE! I took my boat out to the river yesterday. The motor started wonderfully at the dock. I left the dock for a few minutes then started to throttle up, the motor then started to bog down and stopped running. I was able to start again, but then it bogged down as soon as I throttled it up. I did that a few times, then I could not start it any more. The motor cranked fine but it could not fire up. Another boater helped to tow me to the dock. I attempted to start it again using chokes and fuel enrichment button. I was able to fire it up a few times but in just a few seconds then it stopped. I took it home and attempted to start it again, but I could not get it fired up. It also fired up a few times for a few seconds then stopped. Where do I start? Please help!!!

ecu1984

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1997 Force 120 Won't Start

Always start by checking that there are three things at the cylinder 1) Fuel 2) Spark 3) Compression
See which of the three is missing at each cylinder.

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got it started and run again :) However I still don't know what the exact problem was. I first replaced the fuel pump with new diapharm kits, it still didn't start. I then replaced 4 NGK BUHW plugs with old Champion L76V, then it started and run. I then put the NGKs back in, it started and run too. My best guess would be bad fuel and the NGK's sparks were not strong enough to fire up. Anyway, thanks for replying my posts. - Anthony

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would some experts tell me what the exact problem was? Thanks.