Soaking Prop rather than cutting?

vstol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had inquired earlier about cutting off my FWD Prop from my Volvo Penta 290DP-C1. A person in my shop, Marine Corps Shop, not marine Shop, mentioned that for engine block and the likes that are corroded that he does not want to cut on or heat up he would soak them in diesel fuel, kerosene, hydraulic fluid for a few weeks to a month, It is still to cold to go skiing and I am willing to wait if this would keep me from having to cut the prop off, however I am concerned what the diesel or kerosene would do to the seals and bearing on the prop shaft itself? What do you guys think?

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Soaking Prop rather than cutting?

I agree... Soaking it in something(hopefully WD-40 or PB Blaster) I wouldn't use kerosene, mineral spirits or aything else that might swell the rubber seals.<br /><br />If you have the time, it sure wouldn't hurt.<br />Cutting it off should be the "last resort"<br /><br />I also wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work...<br />But I do think you should try it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

PB Blaster or Kroil are probably the best rust dissolvers, I re-build a salt water trailer this summer and got all the nuts and bolts off without breaking any by using a whole can of PB.<br />Once you do get it off, use the OMC/Bombardier triple guard grease, it is a waterproof grease that stands up to salt water. I remove the prop on my Cobra drive at the start of each season and grease it up and leave the boat in salt water for 7 months and have never had a problem. Grease looks new when I remove the prop too!

DHPMARINE

Captain

vstol,if you were talking aluminum prop,I would say you don't have a chance.Stainless,I don't know.I guess anything that doesn't put pressure/heat on that dual propshaft is well worth a shot.Almost any solvent used may harm the seals,especially because you'll be using lots of it.Seals are cheap compared to prop and propshaft prices.<br /><br />DHP

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

WD40 is nothing more than deodorized kerosene with a propellant<br />It's not really too good at anything except removing decal residue, tar off your truck, and spraying the ATV with prior to a mud run to ease in hosing the mud off.<br /><br />If you are gonna try the spray and soak approach use either Kroil....(gawdawful smell) or PB Blaster.<br /><br />I'd try the spary, soak, and hope approach. You have little if anything to loose and ya never know.... it just might work.

vstol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is an aluminum prop, and I already have a reconditioned set standing by, I have a can of PB blaster not 5 gallons, I can look around and see if I can find that much in the mean time while I think about cutting it off? I guess I am just chicken to cut it, do you guys think the shaft might be junk anyways with all that corrosion or just the prop?

rabidfish

I would hope the shaft could be cleaned up.<br /><br />You'll need to look it over very carefully.<br />To that end... if the prop does come off, I wouldn't reinstall it. You'd only be asking to do this all over again sometime.

cmyers_uk

Vstol,<br /><br />I have seen lots of posts from people in the same position as you, as you see from the pro's like rodbolt they do 15-20 a season it is a common problem. Everybody seems to cut them off with lots of care but little problems. Dont worry about the condition of the shaft at the moment get your grinder a couple of spare hours and 10 blades and get cracking ,good luck :)

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The answer to your question is 5 miles away, go over to Bull's Prop Shop at Beaufort,NC if there is a way to get it off without destroying your prop they can tell you. Good Luck!! :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello <br /> its your call and your oil.<br /> just be aware that some oils/solvents will take out shaft seals. while they are not expensive they cost almost as much as your prop.<br /> while I have seen the seals in the tube gear and the bearing box installed witout the installation tool I have also seen many fail cause the tool was not used. the tool sets the seal at the correct depth.<br /> if this was rust we were dealing with PB and some others are great. however they dont touch aluminium oxide and salt. spray all you wish if it make ya feel good but in the end cut the prop and go on with life. really about the only thing I have seen that cuts aluminium oxide and salt is straight chlrox bleach. works well but is hard on rubber. so dont compare removing rusty steel nuts from brackets. the stainless shft did not corrod the aluminium inner hub did. what does aluminium and salt water do in the presence of stainless:) :) .<br /> get the grinder warmed up:)<br /> any puller you try will pull the tapered bearings against the race. dont damage a bearing.

rabidfish

Heck... order a couple of Pizzas and some "Old Milwaukee" and we'll all come over tommorrow night and have a re-proppin' party!

vstol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, so I am still going to give cutting it off a try, just waiting on someone that has done it before, lots of times to come over to the house and help, or at least point. thanks for the help, i let you know if the shaft is junk.

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why don't you try tilting the drive up and soaking the propshaft with "lime away" or "CLR".I've seen a few volvo upper units that were locked in place by corrosion and salt, but when sprayed with lime away, came right off.Worth a try.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

lime away may work for the corrosion. I have no idea what it will do to the seals. but if their is money involved and you can wait a week I may be interested in a road trip:). money is negligable. I have not been to morehead in a long time. I am insured to do mobile marine work though. gotta find a place to take my honey. she is in venezuela now but coming soon for a visit. you supply the wheels and ill grind it.

vstol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cutting the prop off was a success, everything worked out well with not damage to the prop shaft itself or the seals, or at least that is what the boat mech told me that came over to help out, we will see, it seems to to right out of the water with the hose hooked up, i will find out tommorow if the props i got are spun or not, i am hopping for not, thanks for the help.

rabidfish

KUDOS !<br /><br />Congrats on the fine job! <br />Good luck and keep us posted.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

see how easy that was. saved a lot of beating, cursing and resealing.<br /> I have had units brought in with all kinds of damage due to an attempt to hammer off a prop.