1992 Mercruiser temperature sender question

39dodgefan

Cadet
I have a 1992 Mercruiser 3.0. The temperature gauge never moves so I took the wire off the sending location and grounded. The gauage went way past hot. So do I now think the sender is bad or should I replace a thermostat instead? My old outboard had an alarm that went off if the engine got hot but Im not sure this one does.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1992 Mercruiser temperature sender question

So do I now think the sender is bad

Ayuh,... I would,...

I'd also probably change the T-stat while I was swappin' the temp sender...

Yer motor might have a switch to activate an alarm, it'll be right near the temp sender...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before you order a new sender. pull the wire off the sender and ground it at the engine and make sure the gauge still pegs hot. If it don't you have a wiring problem not sender problem.

39dodgefan

Cadet

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I will order the stuff today and try by the weekend to fix. Looks pretty straight forward.

39dodgefan

Cadet

Is there a way to test the sender to see if it is good? Taking the wire off the sender and grounding it made the gauge go all the way past hot.

Bondo

Staff member

Is there a way to test the sender to see if it is good? Taking the wire off the sender and grounding it made the gauge go all the way past hot.

Ayuh,... It can be Ohm'ed, but I don't know the values expected for what temps,...

I think Don missed that line in yer post 'bout grounding it out...