1998 50 hp Johnson One carb works One Carb doesnt?

warmweather

Cadet
Carbs are lableled # 339169
Top carb gets fuel bottom does not. Both cylinders 125 psi with good fire. Runs on upper cylinder only unless i bump choke then both run smooth for a few seconds.

Rebuilt carbs to included floats, needles and seats, all gaskets. Cleaned well before assmbly. Replaced fuel lines, and am using portable tank with fresh fuel mixture.

After close inspection noticed that someone has messed with brass tubes in center of carbs. I no nothing about how they should be set.

On the working carb (upper), Top Side of Carb under the plastic cap that the choke line connects to there are all the little holes and ports etc. The small brass tube sticks up approx. 1/16th of an inch.

On the non working carb (lower) the small brass tube is setting just below what would be "flush" of the flat surface.

Flip carbs over now looking at bottom or float bowl side: on working carb there is the large brass center tube then inside of that is the small tube and it sticks out of the large tube approx. 1/16th of an inch.

Non working carb the small tube sticks out of the large tube about 3/16ths

There is evidence of tool marks on brass tubes of both carbs. I have no clue how these should be looking.

Additionally when I set the bowls on either carb without any gaskets they dont lay flush with the carb boddies. of course the one with the tube sticking down 3/16ths is really away from flush.

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, JC

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1998 50 hp Johnson One carb works One Carb doesnt?

Please post model number of yer engine!

warmweather

Cadet

Sorry but I cant make out the numbers on the sticker located on the transom. The title said 50 hp johnson 1998. It is electric start with electric choke and remote steering. That is all I know. Got the carb numbers off of the carbs.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look on port side of motor for a what looks like a freeze plug. it will have numbers on it, I will need those to further assist you! Good luck!

warmweather

Cadet

I will do that but have to run for a bit. Will return later. Thanks a bunch.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Model E50TLECR Model E50TSLECC Model E50TTLECA Model J50DTLECA Model J50ESLECC Model J50TLECR Model J50TSLECC Model J50TTLECA Model X50ESLECC. You should find one of these.! Post back.

warmweather

Cadet

I located the tag on the port side towards the rear of the block on the top and it was coroded with white powder. I cleaned it the best I could and I cant make out any marks.

The previous owner had painted the zinc anode and this motor is a salty dog. when I replaced the head and exhaust gaskets, I broke of 6 rusted bolts. Had to drill and tap for new bolts. The head was pitted from salt but good in cylinder contact locations.

The engine was oil injected but it has been removed. I dont know if this helps? On a label in the transom area it ses engin family x1fxm0045210 again, these were hard to make out but this is my best translation.

Should the small brass tube in the carburator stop flush with the top of the carb body?
When rebuilding the carbs I did not remove the "freeze plug" looking item in the bowl area but my kit did come with parts like that. I have the carbs in the kitchen and i was thinking about removing those from the inside of the carbs and seeing what was in there or at least clean that area out and then tap in a new plug. I feel like I might be waisting my time with all of this if someone messed with the brass tubes though one carb does seem to work?