89 bayliner 2.3 ford omc cobra

durbelites

Cadet
i am new to boats and this is my first i/o. my question is with the ford 2.3l does the 2.3l use regular car parts (plugs, wires, dist. cap coil etc) i want to do a tune up on it because its been sitting and sounds like its missing only at idle to 2200 rpm anything over that its fine but 2200 its the worst of it.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 89 bayliner 2.3 ford omc cobra

i am new to boats and this is my first i/o. my question is with the ford 2.3l does the 2.3l use regular car parts (plugs, wires, dist. cap coil etc) i want to do a tune up on it because its been sitting and sounds like its missing only at idle to 2200 rpm anything over that its fine but 2200 its the worst of it.

Ayuh,... I'd sooner think yer problem is the low speed circuit of the carb,...
But,...
Ya, the sparkplugs should be 'bout the same, 'n maybe the coil...
The plug wires, Maybe, but usually the ends are different...

I don't think Ford ever used a marine Distributer, so anything hooked to it(cap, rotor, points, etc), ain't Ford...

durbelites

Cadet

ok that helps i found everything but wires and dist cap. the problem i cant figure out is why at idle it will run fine for a couple mins and hesitate for a split second and then normal again it does the same up to about 2200. when you start to advance the throttle from idle it will rev up cut for a split second then fine and repeat. almost like its missing then move up any higher on the rpm it wont do it. it has the 2 barrel rochester carb on it and ocasionally it will act like a secondary is opening up with a hesitation and then go. wierd part is if you just mash the gas it wont do it just takes off.

ZeeCee

Cadet

I too have the ford 2.3, and have done quite a bit of parts replacing on it. Engine specific parts you can use ford parts from the general era, but thats about it. The plug wires you need are pretty generic.

As far as the distributor, temp sensor, etc, that is all OMC (or the companies they bought parts from). Luckily Sierra still makes most of the parts you need, and if you cant find them online or just like a real person talk to O'Rielly auto parts carries and cross references sierra parts.

Your problem might be in the coil?? I had a problem with mis-firing in the mid range as well. After talking to a lot of people i discovered i was using coils made for the Ford 2.3 engine (like out of a 86 mustang). These coils are made to be used with an external resistor. Since the OMC didn't have an external resistor i was suggested to use a coil for a VOLKSWAGEN. That fixed my problem with the missing in the mid range.

durbelites

Cadet

As for the miss problem it was the condenser i had 12.6v on battery and 12.1 on condenser just enough to miss a little and make me angry. But its runnin sweet now!

gagjag

Cadet

As for the miss problem it was the condenser i had 12.6v on battery and 12.1 on condenser just enough to miss a little and make me angry. But its runnin sweet now!
I've got the same engine in my 19.5 Blue Fin. I had nothing but problems with the points/condenser ignition in it. I went to a pertronic electonic conversion 3 years ago and it's like it's a different engine. Starts right up, idles like a dream and I can get 40MPH out of it on a calm day. I was lucky to get 35 before.

skidooseadoo83

Seaman Apprentice

89 2.3 cobra came with ESA (Electronic shift assist) from your discription you are describing exactly what the ESA does, only it sounds like your cables might be a little out of adjustment. Hope you figured it out or come back and check this thread. Simple search on OMC ESA will tell you everything you need to know.