83 70 hp evinrude idles but dies adding throttle

ouiroc

Cadet
hi all
i have a 83 70 hp evinrude the issue i have is this it starts and idles a little erratic but now bad but dies on throttle up unless the choke is bumped at the same time then runs fine. i have looked at the carbs ie pulled the screw plugs and jets cleaned with carb cleaner. on looking at diagrams they show a needle adjuster i can't find one on mine am i missing something? fuel is clean drained carbs nothing funky came out and floats seem to work properly. saw a few posts on timing as a maybe issue not sure how to do that correctly
thanks for any help

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 83 70 hp evinrude idles but dies adding throttle

go to marineengine.com to see your model go from there to see if missing something. the idle screw should be on front of carb above opening

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

you sure about the year?

1983 should have slow speed adjustment on the carbs, but that is *not* the idle adjustment screw. The idle set screw is identified below. Set it to idle at about 1000 on the muffs, then fine tune it at the lake, to about 850 in gear in the water.

If there's a screw plug covering your idle jets, then you have fixed jets which are on 1982 & prior. Also maybe some later years I'm not sure. There is also an off-idle jet.

These carbs have to be disassembled for proper cleaning, and you might as well install new carb kits while you're at it. Since operating the choke makes your motor run better instead of killing it, I think you're on the right track with the carb rebuild.

Attachments

• CAMROLLERTIMERBASEIDLEWOTTHROTTLESPARK.JPG
    CAMROLLERTIMERBASEIDLEWOTTHROTTLESPARK.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 0

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

You sure your fuel pump is ok?

ouiroc

Cadet

ok been gone for a bit i did the carb thing no help found the bottom cylinder low on compression 75psi did a complete rebuild all cyliners at 130psi same outcome i was reading that the center carb is different form the other 2 top and bottom? also how do you sync the throttle and carbs and how should the throttle cable be set before this is done and one more thing thanks for being patient the electric primer when it is pressed should it pump or just allow a path for the fuel to be sucked into the carb. this motor has been a nightmare in agrivation time and money, one more clue if any of the 3 plug wires are removed when it is running the motor dies
any help is greatly appriciated
thanks
tim