Prop won't come off???

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
About 6 months ago, I changed my prop (19p to 17p), and had no problems making the swap. I went out this morning to pull the prop, and it won't come off. Prop nut is off, tab washer is off, and the tab washer receiver came off, all without a glitch. I thought that was all I needed to remove, but the prop won't budge. Ok... what did I forget?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Prop won't come off???

About 6 months ago, I changed my prop (19p to 17p), and had no problems making the swap. I went out this morning to pull the prop, and it won't come off. Prop nut is off, tab washer is off, and the tab washer receiver came off, all without a glitch. I thought that was all I needed to remove, but the prop won't budge. Ok... what did I forget?

Probably forgot a thin coat of grease on the splined shaft?

Next step is to gently tap the prop blades (as close to the prop hub that you can get) in the direction you want the prop to go...I use a rubber mallet. It should come off.

Happy boating!

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you dont have a rubber mallet, be sure to use a scrap piece of 2x4 about a foot long, so you wont mess up the blades with a steel hammer.. And gently tab it off.. a moderate to light tab on the wood.

Bondo

Staff member

About 6 months ago, I changed my prop (19p to 17p), and had no problems making the swap.
Ok... what did I forget?

Ayuh,... Did ya slather the propshaft with grease, before ya slid it on,..??

I'm guessin' that's what ya forgot...

Hopefully, a block of wood, 'n a hammer'll cure it this time....