Force support

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering on my 1985 85 hp force outboard on a 1985 bayliner is there any way to keep the motor supported when trailoring. I had a transom saver on my old trailor but this new trailor does not have a rear support beam and the nearest one is about half way up the trailor. My tilt and trim system has a slight leak down. And it gets worse with bounces, i saw the device that goes into the adjustment holes and the motor sits on that it would help keep the motor up but what about supporting the weight off the transom? Now that bar may be a little closer to the rear of the boat then half way but there is no way to put a transom saver to it. Unless there is something i am unaware of which is why i ask on here. I will try and get some pics up this evening of it. But from what i have seen it is the standard trailor for the bayliner capris.

freezerman

Cadet
Re: Force support

When I had my old Force it would do the same slow bleed down. I used a short piece of copper pipe and set it on the pin between the transom plate and the motor. Then tilt down to ride on the pipe. Because it was copper it was soft enough not to do any damage. PVC pipe would work also.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok that is a awesome idea. I saw a transom saver that goes up under the boat to the trailer and makes about a 45 degree bend up to the motor. Its 65 bucks though it may have to wait until the end of the month closer to payday. Do you guys think it would hurt to use that pvc pipe or copper pipe in the mean time? Thanks for that great idea.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Fix the leak.
If I'm thinking what you are doing, Is this something that may come loose , and going flying down the road and indangering someone behind you.???

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nothing is going to come flying off. Everything is solid there is just a slight leak down when it hits bumps. A transom saver or some sort of engine stop worked on my old boat no problems. I found a new ts today and have it to install this evening. It comes out from under the boat and then does about a 35 degree bend up to the motor.

freezerman

Cadet

The support I was talking about sits on a 3" long stub between the transom on the motor, then you lower the motor onto it. Can't go anywhere. If you have an old Bayliner with a Force 85 you would see exactly what I'm talking about. It would be better to stop the leak down but it is difficult to get it fixed without a lot because a lack of parts. There is an oring in the trim hydraulics that seems to be the problem. Never could find the exact replacement.

NYBo

Admiral

Trailering with the motor up and no trailering bracket likely contibuted to the bleed-down problem to begin with.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nybo that was my thought exactly. I purchased the motor on my original boat which was never taken care of and the transom was falling off of. I aquired a 85 bayliner and the stainless steel trailer it came with from the factory this weekend. I have a mist around the top of the actual tilt tube not the trim part. So I know that is where my leak is but since it has absolutely no problem staying up when it isnt bouncing I never worried about it. I have had it in the full up position for 2 days now. NO coming down.

Freezerman I now have a bayliner now and have always had the 85 85hp force outboard. I think you may be referring to the trim push tube? However I did find a new transom saver today that will bolt up to the inner part of the trailer and come all the way out to the motor. Therefore the support for the motor I was looking for. Now just to get it bolted up in position. lol.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

foodfisher

Captain

I've got the same trailer prob., no rear crossbar. Been wondering if the transom saver you are describing is still long enough. Please update when you finish your install, or no/go.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Force had a U shaped bar that fit into the manual tilt/trim holes for trailering on motors that had no power tilt/trim. They will work for your motor too, I believe. Check out ebay, they usually pop up there every now and again. Also search the Force and Bayliner forums for "trailer bar" and you should find a few posts about them and picture or two.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

foodfisher it really appears it will work for this setup. it is made from real heavy duty looking metal and braces. Even the rubber V for the motor to set into is heavy duty. I will let you know if it works well tonight.

NYBo

Admiral

Your trailer is galvanized, not stainless.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

MY apologies that is what i meant not stainless i have no idea where i got stainless from. Only thing I can think is that I was thinking about the screws I needed to purchase after work to repair some stuff.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the approximately the same boat and trailer with a 125 hanging off the back and I get nervous when I hit a pothole. Could I weld a rear crossmember onto the trailer? Then make a simple engine support would be a lot easier? Would a crossmember get in the way of loading and unloading in the water? To me it looks like a 25 to 50 dollar project. Any thoughts?

foodfisher

Captain

Loading and unloading is probably why there's no crossbar. It'll have to be v-shaped. Might be a road hazard then.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with foodfisher it looks like it is out for the boat to miss on purpose. for the loading and unloading. I have however started a arguement in a different thread on transom savers. I have found one that goes all the way in to the first cross bar and comes out to the back of the boat and makes any angle bend you need it to make then goes to the motor, seems to work well enough to keep the motor from falling and keeps the hydraulics in tact. Wont know until I get off and can take the boat for a drive to test for any problems at the lake though.

foodfisher

Captain

That arguement always pops up. I fall onto the use it side. Anxiously awaiting your use it results.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its been about a 2 page arguement now on that post. I am going to finish mounting the mounting plates for the transom saver this evening. Or as it is now called in my post a engine de-flopperizer. The only reason I want one on my boat is the engine will slowly drop while being moved on the trailer when I hit any size bump. However sitting still in the drive or even on the lake it will stay up forever. I just dont want the motor to drop while driving and the worse thing happen. Or me have to stop every few miles and re raise the motor. I have no tilt lock on my motor. So that is not a option. I am very anxious to get out and try my new boat. I finally got the steering rigged in and almost got the rest of the rigging done. Just a few smaller things to do and away we go.

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok well foodfisher that transom saver SUCKED!! after spending a couple hours installing it. Since the boat was on the trailor and was having to work from under it. I drove down the street and heard this really loud metal on pavement sound. Got out looked back at it and the darn thing had fallen off the motor and was only being held completly off the ground by the bungee that was turning white. I am returning it on monday when I go to lunch. So I suppose that for now it is going to be a pvc pipe and a bungee around the outside of the motor to help keep it from bouncing up off the pipe. I am going to continue in my search for something to help support the motor. I just dont want to end up with a ruined transom in a few years. Hope this helps you all. I got the one from academy that had a very heavy duty metal bracket in the middle. Spend your 50 bucks on something worth it. Now to just get the darn steering link on the boat and I can atleast get out on the water I hope. If I can get into forward lol.