Shifter lever loose - Throttle handle loose

AviSailor

Recruit
I have a 2005 Volvo Penta 3.0 SX. I was on the lake when the throttle handle came loose and was able to spin 360 deg. If i pushed the round portion of the handle outboard (or toward the rest of the shifter) i would be able to use the throttle. Once O found neutral, I was able to shift for-nue-rev but I needed to apply pressure to the handle to keep it engaged.
I plan on removing the handle this week, is there any warnings before beginning maint. (with the cables and gears) and has anyone come across this issue? Are there any parts i should order to have on hand before begining?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Shifter lever loose - Throttle handle loose

I have a 2005 Volvo Penta 3.0 SX. I was on the lake when the throttle handle came loose and was able to spin 360 deg. If i pushed the round portion of the handle outboard (or toward the rest of the shifter) i would be able to use the throttle. Once O found neutral, I was able to shift for-nue-rev but I needed to apply pressure to the handle to keep it engaged.
I plan on removing the handle this week, is there any warnings before beginning maint. (with the cables and gears) and has anyone come across this issue? Are there any parts i should order to have on hand before begining?

Ayuh,... Probably just the set screw is loose on the bottom of the Handle...