84 glastron ssv167 floor/stringers/transom

bhoff86

Seaman
Hello everyone I just started my first boat project! Its a glastron ssv167 looks great from the outside and came with an awesome roller trailer and a working 140 hp evenrude for 600 cash. So I figured it was worth doing a little work to it at that price! Already ripped carpet and most of the flooring off in the rear. I opened it up to find wet wood...wet foam and a mouse nest!! Anyways I have read a lot of postings from people on this forum so I think im partially ready to start this lil project. Although im sure I will need advise and or questions answered along the way!

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 84 glastron ssv167 floor/stringers/transom

Good luck! Keep us posted on the progress

bhoff86

Seaman

Thanks! Yea doing demo and fiberglass grinding still so I will update in a day or two!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a HECK of a deal with a 140HP motor!

bhoff86

Seaman

Heck yea specially with lifetime liscence on trailer, custom cover, two brand new props, brand new depth finder and new tires!! Still grinding away on the fiberglass today and got all floor out gonna cut out stringers today yet. Has anyone used drylok on floors and stringers?? Im planning on using it. I know its 100% waterproof when dry so I think that's the way im gonna go
...how would I make fiberglass look smooth? I ripped the carpet out on the sides of the boat and don't want to use carpet again so I want to put something on there I can paint and make it look smooth.

bhoff86

Seaman

Wondering if I can just chop the rear end of the top cap off do the transom and then glass the rear section back in...I plan on painting the boat when im done anyway?? Ideas

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Drylock is REALLY brittle. I would not use it. And in my experience it doesn't adhere real well to wood. Now if your boat was masonry or pavement I'd be all for it :p

Yes, cutting off the back section of the cap is one method used to exposed the transom if it's too difficult to remove the whole cap.

bhoff86

Seaman

Yes it will be very hard to take it off the windshield consoles are part of the top cap so would be hard to remove it and keep it straight!!

bhoff86

Seaman

Ok so im all ground down and ready for glassing in the front. Found out someone added a ski locker and cut out the floor supports to do so which was why it was soft in the front so got new wood and support cut and ready to go ib just a couple questions...
New to fiberglassing so not sure how this works.
1. What do I apply to the wood before I lay it down and secure it.
2. What to use to make the fiberglass on the inside sides of the boat smooth so I can paint it.
3. Not a lot of space to add supports for pedestal seats...maybe an inch between floor and hull any ideas?
4. What to use to fill screw holes in the fiberglass I removed some wood panels that im not reusing.

May have more questions later!

bhoff86

Seaman

Another thing there was no foam in the boat except a few pieces of aluminum backed foam cit into long strips and laid inside. Otherwise only foam was under the seat boxes and in the rear. Do I need to put any in??

bhoff86

Seaman

So did some research...
A couple coats of resin prior to securing deck down and fiberglassing is that right??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You'll want to add some CSM to that resin. Poly is worthless by itself.

bhoff86

Seaman

Not for the underside though right. They used the resin to soak into the wood? Im planning on FG the top of it for the floor. Although it wasn't done on this floor originally?? Do I need to put foam in if it wasn't there to begin with??

bhoff86

Seaman

If I use 3/4 plywood can I put pedestal seats on that...because the way my hull is designed only leaves an inch or two at most under the decking.??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No you'll need to CSM the bottoms as well. Poly resin, just "painted" on their won't have much use as a sealer without glass. It will crack and flake off. I believe CSM is fairly cheap and if you glass both sides, you'll have a bulletproof deck.

For my pedestal mounts, what I did was lay the deck boards in the boat, mock up my seating to see where the pedestals would end up and mark it. I then added blocks of plywood to the underside in those areas to double the thickness. I used lag bolts to install the pedestals after the deck was installed.

bhoff86

Seaman

I will have to take a pic. I have an inch on one side and maybe two on the other so I would only be able to add like a half inch piece of ply underneath as to keep it from sitting on the hull

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I will have to take a pic. I have an inch on one side and maybe two on the other so I would only be able to add like a half inch piece of ply underneath as to keep it from sitting on the hull

Even that would be worth the effort. Any extra "meat" to bolt into is a good thing.

bhoff86

Seaman

Ok great! Where do I get csm?? And resin?? Don't want to order online if possible

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

bust out the yellow pages and look up fiberglass. Otherwise, US Composites online.