Tach interference with ignition...?

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I converted my 470 breaker-point ignition to Pertronix last year and haven't been able to get two consecutive hours of trouble-free operation since. Engine dies - no spark.

Carl at Retro-Rockets has been great to work with, and has provided excellent support. He sent me a replacement for the Pertronix, which I installed the next day. This time the ignition failed in the driveway after ten minutes of running. No spark.

I jumped in the original coil as a trial and error measure, but no help there. Then I disconnected the tach wire from coil negative and the thing fired right up. Of course I have no assurance that it won't fail on the water again, as has happened twice before, but the difference it made during my driveway trial appeared to be profound and immediate.

Checked the disconnected tach signal wire for resistance to ground - infinite -, and for stray voltage of which there was none. Of course the tach electronics could be failing under load, allowing me to operate for a while prior to failure. I won't know until I go out again with the wire remaining disconnected.

So I have two questions:

1. Has anyone experienced interference between a tach signal wire and an ignition system?
2. Is there another way to connect the tach to allow signal with no backtalk?

Thanks all.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Tach interference with ignition...?

1. Has anyone experienced interference between a tach signal wire and an ignition system?
2. Is there another way to connect the tach to allow signal with no backtalk?

Ayuh,.... A Bad tach can do that,....

Change the Tach, 'n try it...