1988 Welcraft Nova Spyder twin 350's-Engine revs and no power from starboard drive

LShawn84

Recruit
Hello all, new to the forum. Just wanted to see if i could get some info....we where out on the lake and i went to take off and was almost up on plane and all a sudden the right side engine revved up real high and the engine syncrinizer guage went all the way to starbord side. I immediatly got off the throttle and smoke was pouring out of the engine vents. I opened the hatch and could see redish fluid shot on the wall to the left starboard engine. i removed the cap to the starbord trim pump resiviour and it is full. I cranked it back up and tried again (after smoke clears) and engine runs fine but try to take off and it just revs up and does not pull. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks...Shawn

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1988 Welcraft Nova Spyder twin 350's-Engine revs and no power from starboard driv

Probably smelled rubber burning to didn't you? Sounds like you lost the coupler.
What fluid in your engine compartment is red? That should give you a hint at what might have gone.

LShawn84

Recruit
Re: 1988 Welcraft Nova Spyder twin 350's-Engine revs and no power from starboard driv

YES!! I did smell rubber! i think the drive fluid is red. Where do i need to look to see if the coupler is the problem? look behind the motor where the shaft comes out from the engine and into the drive?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

look behind the motor where the shaft comes out from the engine and into the drive?

Yes, the rubber should be smooth, if it's rough, it's spun.

If the drive fluid is red, you must be using that cheap garbage oil. Maybe the drive locked up.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Or when you overheated you burned thru the power steering hoses

NHGuy

Captain

Yeah, maybe the power steering hoses were near the drive shaft and got damaged when the shaft moved after the coupler quit. Or maybe the steering stuff soaked the coupler and ruined it. They also could have failed separately, or the drive could have the red stuff in it, which as said is not good.
There are many scenarios. Thankfully, it's just parts & time.

LShawn84

Recruit

It sounds like thats what it may be. I have not had a chance to go out and look at it yet...when i do i will deffinatly let all of you know.

LShawn84

Recruit

Well this is the metal i pulled out of the coupler....i cant get down there to see the rubber. But im sure this is the problem. Anybody ever pulled an engine out at home? the top of the boat is about 8 feet from the ground. I am a mechanic but havent messed with boats that much other than doing maintenance. how in the world can i get the engine out and set on the ground?
1311722185365.jpg

NHGuy

Captain

You can rig a tripod, you can pull it from a (big) tree branch, you can use a tall tow truck, forklift, crane, garage beam...the possibilities are endless. Use what's available and reasonable for you.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Anybody ever pulled an engine out at home?
No, but I pulled one while the boat was floating!
I made an oversized wooden 'sawhorse', put it above the engine, and connected it to a come-a-long. You could rig something similar- but bigger and higher- sitting on the ground. Lift the engine out, move the boat, jack it down.
Make sure whatever you use can carry the load without collapsing.
Here's a shot of my engine being pulled (inboard):
Transwork004.jpg