Water Leak--Picture attached, Please help

lcmains1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a leak coming in the boat, this happens when the trim is down only. Not when the trim is in the trailer position. If you look at the picture you can see the water coming in below the water line and dumping right on the drive shaft. It does this with or without the engine running. Where is it coming from? My best guess is the shift cable bellows.. is that correcct?

IMG-20110724-00114.jpgIMG-20110724-00114.jpg

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Water Leak--Pictura attached, Please help

torn u-joint bellows? Water coming right through the gimbal bearing? What type of drive, boat, etc?

Bondo

Staff member

I have a leak coming in the boat, this happens when the trim is down only. Not when the trim is in the trailer position. If you look at the picture you can see the water coming in below the water line and dumping right on the drive shaft. It does this with or without the engine running. Where is it coming from? My best guess is the shift cable bellows.. is that correcct?

View attachment 104481View attachment 104481

Ayuh,... It looks like the U-joint bellows is leakin'....

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... It looks like the U-joint bellows is leakin'....

I'm glad you could see that. The image reminded me of the visibility on a North Carolina wreck dive in 80 feet of water. Hopefully he doesn't have that much in his bilge! :D

lcmains1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When the trim is down water is coming in at a pretty good rate (as you can see in the picture). It filled the bilge and ski locker in about an hour or so.... I'm damn lucky i didn't lose the boat. I figured it was one of the bellows.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

You will also want to replace the shift cable and bellows,gimbal bearing and water tube while it main bellows is being replaced.Charlie