Cold Starting Volvo 5.0

gop711

Seaman
I just brought a 95 Caravelle with a 5.0 volvo.<br />Test drove and everything was OK. I didn't start the boat. I thought I would find a button or something on the trottle to press and would then be able to give it gas without it in gear.<br /><br />That is not the case. My question is for cold starting would you just put it in gear and move the trottle about 1/2 way a couple of times, then return it to neutral and then start the engine?<br /><br />Or should there be a way to move the trottle forward without it being in gear?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Greg

tommays

Admiral
Re: Cold Starting Volvo 5.0

gop<br />you need to find a friend in the area to show you some of the basic things its very hard to type in how to safley drive a boat<br /><br />but there should be a button on the control that allows you to put the boat in netural and control the motor for warm up<br /><br />it wont start in gear unless something is worng with the netural saftey switch <br /><br />most boats have some type of opperators manual if you visit Carvelle they many have one to download<br /><br />tommays

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are many types of throttle controls used by different builders, so it's hard to tell you exactly how yours works. But basically "Most" have a button to push for throttle only operation. It's usually located in the center of the handle pivot. From neutral, just push the button in and while holding the button in, move the lever forward. That will be throttle only. If you pull the lever back to neutral all the way, it will engage the shifter again.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello <br />if it does not have a button release it should have the method that involves pulling the handle away from the control box about 3/8ths of an inch to disengauge the shift. but starting that old motor at a dead idle is about the surest way I know to fill a volvo with water. it will pop before dying then you will post about it being locked :) and we will tell you to remove the plugs and crank the motor to expell the water. but when starting cold it really needs to be set about 1200-1500 rpm. boats have no fast idle steps on the auto-choke cams.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

If it has an OMC style control you put the shifter in the neutral position and then pull it out to disengage the shift system. Then you can open the throttle all the way to set the choke, (allow it to close for a cold start) next you place the throttle control about 1/3 foward of neutral (still with the lever pulled out towards you) and crank it over. May take a couple of trys but like rodbolt said they do not automatically set a fast idle like cars with carbs did, you have to open the throttle a bit so it will run fast enough to keep running on the choke. Once it is running smoothly for a few minutes you can idle it back down to the neutral or ilde position. Then re-engage the shift sytem and put er in gear.

highaltitude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1995? is that fuel injected? an injected motor should start with the throttle control set in the neutral/no throttle position. if you try to start a fuel injected setup by advancing the throttle it will lead to more problems then it is worth. if the motor is fuel injected it could be a bad sensor or tps setting. do more homework. good luck