Evinrude 115 power tilt works up but not down

zoomy

Recruit
Hi,

I just purchased a boat with a 1997 Evinrude 115 outboard. There is fluid leaking from the double rams, and when activated at the switch, motor runs for up position, but doesn't run for down position. The relay activates, and 12v circuit closes when tested with multimeter.

Two questions... how to get the hydraulic motor running for down tilt, how to replace the leaky seals, and how to fill the fluid reservoir.

Thanks!
Tim.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 115 power tilt works up but not down

Try swapping the relays. To replace the leaky seals it takes an OEM factory service manual and a few special tools. There is a cap on the reservoir on the strb side of the unit where you add fluid.

zoomy

Recruit

Thanks Boobie, I tried swapping the relays as you suggested, and *BRIEFLY* got the hydraulic motor to respond downward. Then there was no response in either direction. Your advice suggests that one relay was already bad, and the other just failed this morning. Does that seem likely to you?

At least swapping them tells me that the hydraulic motor works in both directions, which is a relief. Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated.
Tim.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may want to clean up the terminals in the relay box and check the wiring going into it. Make sure the terminals on the relays are also clean. Also check the B+ wire that that goes to the box.

zoomy

Recruit

Took it to a marine mechanic, bad news. Motor is toast, rams are out of round, seals are worn. $1000 repair unless I can find a good used trim assembly.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Look into CMC.com. They are a little different but I've put some on and they work good.

Fed

Commander

I'd connect the motor straight to the battery & swap the seals before I was convinced, both are very easy jobs to do.