Help Please.2000 Model 3.0 V.P will not Plane

I have a 2000 Model Volvo Penta 3.0 135h.p and am at a loss. I started this season with a cracked Manifold that I just replaced with a brand new one . Replaced Oil,and Outdrive oil as well. Started with muffs in driveway ran fine. Went to the Lake and started kinda difficult to get going at first as it would kill the engine when i put into gear..figured it was because of it being the first time it was launched this year. After a while of idling and it warming up went into gear just fine . Now for the Puzzle I push the accellerator and it goes just like it should to 3000 RPM will not Plane it should acheive 4800 at WOT cannot get past 3000 RPM I even had the compartment raised while at full throttle to see if something was causing the throttle cable to not open fully . It feels like The shifter is not all the way down or the linkage is outta whack.It Idles fine and in neutral goes to 4800 -4900 rpms fine but not in gear in the water. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help Please.2000 Model 3.0 V.P will not Plane

I started this season with a cracked Manifold that I just replaced with a brand new one .

Have you checked the oil since you have run the engine?

It feels like The shifter is not all the way down or the linkage is outta whack.
ENGINE OFF.
Put the drive in gear and move the throttle to wide open throttle.
Remove flame arrestor, open choke and look at the throttle plates. Are they straight up and down?

will overfilling my outdrive cause this

No

Yes I checked the oil right after I ran it for like 30 minutes at WOT or 10 MPH roughly. Oil looked good No signs of water in it. Have not checked Plates will do that Tommorrow ....However I did notice some dripping of Gas below the Carb where it bolts to the Manifold Not a steady drip but every few seconds a drip.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

However I did notice some dripping of Gas below the Carb where it bolts to the Manifold

If you are dripping gas there, you are also sucking air when running. When you have a vacuum leak like that, you will loose top end and won't run right.
Did you have the carb off and try to reuse the gaskets??????

Did you have the carb off and try to reuse the gaskets??????

Yes I reused the top gasket between the spacer and Carb the Boat shop only had one in stock..........Didnt realize it would cause it to act like that.
I will order one and see if it resolves the issue ....THANK YOU..Don S.

Alright Ive replaced the carb gaskets good seal no leak. As far as theplate below the flame arrestor it is closed when you start it and after running for a few minutes it opens . still running the same wont go above 3000 rpms wont plane.. open for suggestions

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's your choke plate. Don's talking about the two round throttle plates in the bottom of the carb beneath the choke plate. With the boat not running, you can remove the flame arrestor, pull the choke plate back against the spring by hand, and have someone push the throttle from zero to full travel, and ensure the two round plates at the very bottom go from closed to fully open (completely vertical) when the throttle is at maximum. You will probably need a flashlight to see all the way down to them. They sit at the same place where the carb bolts to the manifold, so about 4" below the choke plate. It will squirt a little bit of gas in there when you do this, so just be aware of that.