Evinrude Simplex

billy7andahalf

Recruit
I have a 1954 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 HP and I was wondering where the best place would be to purchase a Evinrude Simplex control box for it?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude Simplex

There's one on ebay now...... I forgot what the Johnson or Gale equivalents were named

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

They will both work, but the newer looking one is absolutely huge compared to the old looking one. Might look mismatched with the 7.5....

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The Johnson version is called a Shipmaster. Its identical to the Simplex, except badging and color.

Check your 7.5 to see if it has a mounting point for the shift trunion. I don't think it does.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Gale was called the Bo'sun. Had to go out to the garage and find one or it would have bugged me all night.

billy7andahalf

Recruit

Jay, I think that it does have a mount on the right side. Especially because I have a manual for it and it shows about how you can hook up remote power. Will get pic tomorrow.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The shift handle on your motor has the receiver for the locking pin that fits on the end of a shift cable. What you don't have on your motor, is the mounting point for the stainless retainer clip, into which the cable adjustment wheel mounts.

You can drill holes in your cowl to mount the stainless clip directly to it, but if you do, the cable will run at an angle, rather than parallel with the engine. The photo below shows a bracket that is available for the later model OMC 6hp motors. I have never seen one for your engine, but they may exist. If not, the one depicted may be something that you can use.

6hpShiftBracket.jpg