Need to replace the floor? In my 1986 Sport-Craft

zbishka

Cadet
The floor in my sport craft is spongey(?) so I would like to either remove it and put a whole new floor in OR if possible resurface the floor with Marine Grade plywood and a fresh carpet. What is entailed to do either of this?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need to replace the floor? In my 1986 Sport-Craft

NOT advisable to do an overlay. We, here on iBoats would Highly recommend you tear out the Old soft floor and replace. Word to the wise... Your will more than likely find more problems when you do. The stringers and bulk heads will more than likely have ROT issues and if you have floatation foam it will probably have some waterlogging issues. Just be prepared!!! We'll be here to help, If and when the problems arise.

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need to replace the floor? In my 1986 Sport-Craft

Don't overlay the plywood. If you do it will more than likely increase the rot underneath and also not fix the source of why the floor rotted in the first place. To get the floor off take a jigsaw or a circular saw set to the same depth as the floor so you do not cut the stringer in the process and start cutting in squares that can be easily removed. After removing the old floor, check out everything. Bulkheads, strings, cross frames,foam etc. If they all look good go underneath the boat and see if there is any damage. Might as well fix any damage now then later. Also try and figure out why the water go in the plywood. Was it screw holes not sealed or no drain channels underneath the floor. Once you figure this out cut the plywood to fit, seal the seams with filler, and either screw (making sure each hole has 5200 or epoxy in them) or glass the plywood down.