What Type Of Oil

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Quick Question. Volvo Penta 1884, 4 cylinder. Going to change the oil myself. Asked the shop what type of Oil I should use they told me 20W40. My maiintenace Manual calls for 10W40. What is the difference. Is there a difference between Marine Oil and Car Oil? Is one oil better for older Engines? Any Help would be great. Man I love this place! Dan

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: What Type Of Oil

Man!!!! That is an old motor.I guess you mean 1984.Stick with what the manual calls for,however I dont think it would call for a multigrade.Double check,it will probably call for sae30 or sae40 Charlie

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

No serious its an 1884 Volvo, first one ever built! Hey Thanks I'll double check. Could have swore it said 10W 40

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Use the straight 30w or 40w.<br /><br />Or... even the Mercruiser branded oil.<br /><br />( which is labeled 25-40 )<br />( That will open a topic of discussion! (can of worms))

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Ok when you say straight 30w or 40w is that any car engine oil or do I need a special Marine Oil? Which one is better for older engines or does that not come into play?

vipzach

Lieutenant

the 20w40 oil will be a little thicker at startup than the 10w40. From what I under stand marine oil is supposed to be a heavier duty oil ( maybe not a good way to say it just way I undersatnd it. In all honesty I don't really think there is a big difference, but I buy the quicksilver oil. Go figure

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hate to throw facts at you, but here are the latestest recommendations.<br /><br />The Marine Gear lube 30W is actually engine oil.<br /><br />
Volvo%20drive%20oils.jpg

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Ok Thanks!!! Going to use Sae30!! Thanks A Million.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anita Margarita<br />Are you changing the engine oil or the outdrive oil?

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Engine Oil On a 1984 Volvo Penta I/O. 4 Cylinder