86' 200 black max

tgmeggitt

Cadet
just bought an 86 ranger with the black max on it. guy said it has been sitting for about 6 months. we changes all the fluids, cleaned all the fuels lines and the fuel pump. changed all the spark plugs ect... the engine wont idle without giving it gas and in gear it will stall out (sounds flooded almost) if you give it gas. we can't get it on plane ot anything. please help. as soon as we put it in gear it's like it cant handle the pressure and stalls out.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86' 200 black max

Check your 3 basics first, compression, spark and fuel. If engine has good compression (should be around 110 psi per cylinder +/- 10 psi) and hads spark on all cylinders(jumps a 3/8 air gap) look at rebuilding the carbs and replacing the fuel pump diaphram. Also get yourself a manual as this is a chrome bore engine and is picky about its timing,sync and ling of carbs and has staggered high speed jetting. There is also a service bulletin on installing larger jets if they have not already been installed

j_martin

Admiral

Like Fazt says.

Check compression. Just pull all the plugs, disconnect the fuel line, and crank it with a remote starter with the key off. Jam a screwdriver handle between the carb linkage and the throttle cam to hold the throttle valves open.

If it's bad.....sucks to be you.

If it's good, get a Mercury service manual and detail the engine, (carb kits, fuel pump kit, water pump parts, linkage and timing adjustments, etc.

By catching up on years of neglect, you'll restore this fine machine to top performance.

clevecan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no need to hold throttle open when doing a compression check,Some think you do some don't.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

clevecan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok never knew that but I always have had OMC's so now I have learned something new. Thats why I like to see what you
all know here as we can come ask about problems we might be having. J-martin does know alot so thanks for the info. My
first merc. I really like it and once I work out a few bugs I hope to enjoy it.

tgmeggitt

Cadet

you guys dont happen to know where i could find a manual for it online do you?
thanks for all the help so far

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might be able to find a free online manual download. Look at the sticky's at the top of this forum. I ordered a hard copy at mercurypartsexpress.com