Engine flooding on acceleration. 2007 50 HP 2 Stroke, Oil Injected.

showssc

Cadet
Purchased this boat used in May/June. It had few hours on it, but it appeared to have never been serviced. Only two carbs were firing when I bought it. I had my local marine shop replace the plugs, water pump, fuel line and drained and replaced all oil/gas/etc. In addition, I had all 3 carburetors rebuilt and new impellers installed before ever running the boat. I took it out the first time and had the same problem I am having now. I brought it back in and due to a terrible explanation of the engine's lack of performance, I now have a new tach. I took it back 2 weeks ago with a much better feeling they understood my issue, and it was discovered that the fuel pump was not checked originally. It was very dirty and the diaphram's in need of attention. It is now rebuilt. To no avail unfortunately.

I have taken this boat out 20-25 times, and here's my problem. It will run fine at times and give me what most would call peak performance. After a while, it starts flooding. Sometimes this problem starts from the minute we leave the launch. It is always at 3,000 RPM's that it will flood and drop to 1,000 RPM's before catching and revving back up, but once this problem starts I never get back to peak performance. Pulling 2 little boys under 6 on a tube makes the flooding worse at all throttle stages and not just at the acceleration point that it always floods.

Today, after getting the rebuilt fuel pump yesterday, I got great performance for about 20 minutes. Then in a turn, it flooded and lost RPM's and the rest of the day was more of the same.

I am at my wits end. It should be noted that my mechanic has not put the boat in the water. It idles fine and revs as high as to dangerous levels on the water hose without missing or flooding.

Does anyone have a clue? Fuel system is basically all rebuilt and cleaned (I think), so could it be electric? If you will, forget that it performs well at times. While that is true and may be important, what is the cause of a flooding engine at the same level of acceleration? Maybe that will lead me in the right direction.