what should i expect?

DJ87

Seaman
gentlmen and ladies,,

There is a new addition to the family coming in a few days and im wondering what to expect. i purchased a 1980 bayliner from a charity and am wondering what my stock bayliner electrical system might intale. I dont have an exact model number but its a 1980 bayliner, 25 feet long, 8 feet wide and about 10 feet tall. they called it a flybridge boat as it has to helms, small kitchen, bathroom and sleeping quarters in the nose. It has a volvo penta 260 A engine , 100 gallon fuel cell, 30 gallon fresh water tank and only appears to have one battery. im wondering will it have a inverter, battery switch, how many batteries should it have, and how does the sink work? i assume it has a water pump switch somewhere to prime the water lines, then all i do is turn the hot or cold knob. would it have a water heater? what im looking to do is use it for 2-3 days at a time on lake trips with waverunners in tow. i would like to have a mini fridge and flat screen tv with dvd in bed room and be able to use cabin lights at night. i dont know if it has 110 ac outlets or if its all dc. any help would be huge guys , thanks

NYBo

Admiral
Re: what should i expect?

After 31 years, there is no telling what has been done by previous owners.

DJ87

Seaman

the charity company indicated it to be a one owner boat , stock, sat in indoor stoage for 10 years. if it was still original what do you think it would be set up like

NYBo

Admiral

I would guess no inverter, possibly shore power hookup with a few 110 VAC outlets, no battery switch.

With the use you're planning, I would recommend at least two batteries.

Sorry, I have no idea how the water will work (an on-demand electric pump or a hand pump are possible) or if it will have a water heater.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A flat screen TV, mini-fridge alone will demand at least two batteries (big ones at that) for a three day outing with no source of charging other than the engine. With the lack of shore power available wherever you go, a small generator set on the swim platform may suffice.

crablegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before you put any money in it check the whole boat out for rot!

DJ87

Seaman

ahhh, i like the generator idea. in regards to the rot comment,are these boats known to have this issue? my other bayliner 1987 bayliner 20 ft ski boat had a little in the battery area but no were else and that boat sat ouside uncovered for years before i restored it. however this new boat is a hole new game so any advice on were to inspect would be great

DJ87

Seaman

silvertip, would i be able to tie the generator into the oulets in the cabin if equiped or would i have to run extension cords? also i have an inverter currently that says its a 1000 watt unit with a 600 watt peak, would this work on a tv and fridge or is it only large enough for one or the other?

NYBo

Admiral

If there is a shore power setup on the boat, you would plug the generator into it.

DJ87

Seaman

hey nybo,
im in ventura , ca currently and pick it up tomorrow. i have to repack the bearings change the tires, then put on my tow lights to get underway. i will check when i get it to see, its about 8-9 hr drive home so i might not be able to update till tuesday.if it is its just a 3 prong line with a weather seal on it?that would make it way easy. for some reason i had in my mind a coupler connection, kinda like a 220 3 phase twist lock connection.