outboard engineer

coolguy147

Commander
what are outboard engineers like? are they pushed to the limit in testing and designing stuff?

is anybody or was anybody on here one of those guys?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: outboard engineer

The engineers aren't pushed to their limits, but the test drivers are.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

In the good old days before the share holders ran the company Evinrude had a lake they would run engines on a test benchs and boats until the broke, they would figure out what broke and why and make it stronger, that is why there are so many older Rudes and Jonnys running around.

Also they made small incremental changes to the engines and there wasn't the call for a completely new engine every year or two, an 81 Rude was basically the same as a 91 of the same size

Now days everything is designed on a cad with simulated stresses, the world has moved on and it is easier to recall something or warranty it that to actually test things and alot of components are plastic or composite that should be metal.

Ole Evinrude was just a guy that understood how things work and I would be suprised if he had anything but a high school diploma.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

In the old days, and still today (only for a short time longer, until a move to WI soon) OMC used Lake Michigan for testing. They also had test stations in Stuart and Naples Florida, Stuart is still in use. It was Mercury that had a private lake for testing called Lake X.

Ole was mostly self taught in pattern making, casting, machining, mechanics, etc. plus he would go to work for various type companies for a while just to learn how to do something.

coolguy147

Commander

75 N.W. Flagler Avenue, Stuart, Florida, 34994

lol i found the facility. it has an outboard as their mailbox!!! lol :p

how hard is it to become one of those guys?

nwcove

Admiral

if you set your mind to it, you can achieve almost any goal in life! (when i was a young lad, most kids wanted to be firemen, astronauts etc etc........i wanted to be a jeep!....sure wish i would have chased that dream.......life would be less complicated as a jeep......and replacement parts would be easier to get!! lol)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Cost and time to market are the drivers for products, be they TVs, computers or outboards. Engineers are given schedules and cost targets. There is also corporate culture, as in Johnnys were inline motors, V4s and V6s. Merc never had V4 motors. "OK engineer, design a V4 motor that will sell for $6K and have it ready for the Boat Show in April. I want 50% of it to be current parts we have in inventory"

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Years back I used to do Consulting Engineering for a company in Waukegan, IL. The plant I worked in was across from the OMC building that housed their Engineering and Test Labs. On my breaks I would go out and look across the slip and listen to the roar. Every day they had literally a dozen motors running on the docks at various speed levels. Also, their boathouse had several different sized boats for Lake testing. Mornings, while I ate breakfast at the diner down the street, every day I would watch a caravan of OMC pickup trucks with boats and trailers attached heading to a small inland lake.

I used to stop and have a few beers after work with the plant superintendant. He had neighbors that were OMC Engineers, so I got to meet a few of them over the years. The comments above about schedules and cost targets are pretty accurate.

It would be a nice objective to aspire to be one of those guys, but today my guess is that jobs would be slim pickins. The industry isn't what it used to be.

coolguy147

Commander

hmmm well, if i get a mechanical engineering degree. going for the masters:D

ill go for a job with a outboard company, or boat company! but i'm there are plenty of other jobs for mechanical engineers. right?

for now i need to get out of high school and go to some college!

recommended colleges for mechanical engineers? Florida tech? Georgia tech? MIT:p if i could afford it lol

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I would suggest that you think about the career path carefully. While we need more mechanical engineers in this country, I would not suggest you go into mechanical engineering with the sole idea of becoming an outboard motor engineer. While that may seem like fun, one must consider that you actually need to be "hired" in order to make a living at it. Don't mean to talk you out of that if that's what lights your fire -- but way too many people are getting degrees in specific fields but upon graduation find the jobs are not there. No degree is ever wasted but pursue yours carefully. The job market is simply not like it used to be.

coolguy147

Commander

lol yeah! i thought about that before:eek:

i still wanted to be a mechanical engineer but if i can go and work on boats then that's great but stuff doesn't always seem that easy soo i'm sure there are plenty of other jobs.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The modern outboard engines are just so high tech, and every single piece on them have to be engineered. I don't have any idea how Yamaha came up with their 250 hp SHO motors that don't weigh any more than a 2 stroke--and get incredible performance and fuel mileage.

So much of the technology is straight out of the automobile industry--and Honda is using some modified car engines in outboards. The CAN/BUS electronic modules communicate by computer wires, and they're using modern fuel injection and now direct fuel injection to come up with incredible horsepower out of very low displacement engines. And, then they put out about no emissons.

The boat business is very bad this year. But, there must be a very high profit margin in $20K 250 hp marine outboard--a 400-500 lb. piece that costs the same as a whole 3200 lb. Honda Accord.

I cannot help but think that an army of mechanical and electrical engineers are required to come up with new technology. The old engineers were just not trained for such work and are probably now retired.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Coolguy, Remember the ME's creed "Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to hide". Good luck in your course of study, and certainly after graduation.

The big change in the ME field (along with others) is the SW Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools avail to help with design of parts. In the old days, (pre 1980s) teams of guys would sit at drawing boards and draw pictures of parts, with specs. These would be turned out by machinists and tested for form fit and function. Using this kind of process, new models of any kind of mass produced item were very difficult and expensive. That is why Ford, for one example, did not produce too many different new models/year, maybe 1/year. Today with CAD and computer modelling, new models can be designed a lot cheaper, and tested much cheaper. Now you will see multiple new models/year ready for mass production.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A couple of thoughts from One engineer. I'm an automotive engineer. There is not much work out there for us. Not at what we use to make. In the last couple of years everything has been outsources over seas. Including engineering. Engineers in India and Mexico make 1/4 of what an Engineer in the US does. And with the advent of the internet, anything can be sent over sees to be worked on.

Hell Gm got a by out from the US tax payers. 40% of engineering was shipoed out of country right after the by out. We still have engineers here, but they are supervisory positions of a platform. The actual design is done in Korea or Mexico now. Hell the engineers form over seas now come here and consult when launching the platform.

If I where to give you a sugestion in engineering I would sugest you go down the Electrical Engineering side. We will always need to develop, generate, and distribute electricity in North America. It is the one thing that we are lacking, and can not produce enought of. It will be the one industry that will always be here in the good old US. Then you also have the service sector of this industry. That will always be here. Hard to get a guy in India to look at what is making a power outage.

Just my thoughts on things.

recommended colleges for mechanical engineers? Georgia tech? l

HELL YEAH!!! (You'll never guess where I went to school).

It's great that you have a possible career path in mind, but as others have said don't be so locked in to one and only one job that you're blind to other opportunities.

One thing you might do is find out if OMC, Mercury, or maybe one of their suppliers hires co-op students. Find a college with a co-op program and be persistant in getting hired as a co-op by one of those companies.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

+1 on #15 about engineering.

My father recruited electrical, mechanical and chemical engineers by the hundreds for work in the electrical generation business. Many of his close friends had their doctorates in Chemical Engineering, and they mostly worked in pollution control. They've been unable to clean up the coal fired steam plants very much, as a real fix is simply not affordable.

Incredible resources were applied to fight the ecologists in case they pulled up another snail darter which could close down a new dam or steam plant project--at a potential loss of $100's of millions. Their mechanical engineers worked in the steam plants--trying to patch together units slated for scrap 50 years ago.

With present politics, they're pushing automobiles to be running on electricity and/or crossovers to meet the proposed 56 mpg requirements. That will put a load on our electrical grid--which is barely able to keep up with current generation demand on these hot Summer days.

In the future, we'll need real Electrical Engineers working in power production and in power construction building new power lines, substations, etc. Unfortunately, so many electrical engineering students end up working in the computer field or in the computer gaming world--businesses that change weekly. So many engineers are so smart, OCD and monomaniacal that they're really unable and unwilling to work in the real world--meeting needs of a changing society.

Like it's said, we have so many mechanical engineers--not all of which have jobs in their chosen fields. We also need engineers to design and build new nuclear plants--as all the original nuclear plant designers have long since retired (and mostly died.) There again, politics have gotten in the way. Our government doesn't push in any direction--no new oil fields, no drilling in northern Alaska, no new nuclear plants and no more oil derricks in the Gulf. Wind generation won't work, despite 10% of U.S. steel production going into windmills and their blades.

And, we need lakes to run our boats on--which are largely coming from the success of our power companies.

coolguy147

Commander

i'm defiantly not doing chemical engineering....chemistry and my biased teacher weren't so forgiving with my grade:eek:

i like video games and all but i do not want to be one of those guys.

electrical engineering has opened my eyes to new ideas.

i still love boating and hopely electrical engineering will supply my boating needs:D

i could design electronics for the ignition systems! :D

i always thought electrical engineering was the hardest though?:eek:

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

stay away from the marine industry! why? because you will love your job! Why is that a problem? because you will start your career with a boat building company, 3 months later they will cut 75% of their workforce and you will be laid off, you will then move on to work in an industry with much greater job stability only to find out you hate your new job cause its not boatbuilding, your old company will call you back, youll go back even though its a small pay cut you will work there for a while build some tenure then instead of being laid off they will just cut your pay by 10%, youll try to find another job in the marine industry and you will soon find that no one will pay you what you deserve or if they will then their benefits package will suck and you would end up paying 3 times as much for insurance, you will become emotionally invested in a project and not leave the company even though you know you should and that there is no way you will get your 10% back. :facepalm:

don't ask me how I know.:mad:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

i'm defiantly not doing chemical engineering....chemistry and my biased teacher weren't so forgiving with my grade:eek:

i like video games and all but i do not want to be one of those guys.

electrical engineering has opened my eyes to new ideas.

i still love boating and hopely electrical engineering will supply my boating needs:D

i could design electronics for the ignition systems! :D

i always thought electrical engineering was the hardest though?:eek:

I personally believe that electrical eng. IS the hardest, but it also has the largest number of positions open. So chances of finding a good job are better.

You don't need to be a chemist to be a chemical eng. I've been one for 40 years and I almost flunked out because of the college chemistry requirement. They call us plumbers because we work with pipes and pumps, but truth be told we're more of a mechanical eng. than a chemist. We also command the highest salaries, though number of jobs is less than some of the others.

My son started as an EE but quit because he hated it. He's now a manager in retail and makes more $ than any Eng. I know. He works hard but has a lot of time off too. He'll retire in his 50's. If I knew what I know now, I'd go that route. At least he doesn't get calls at midnight to come in to the plant to get it running again! ALL engineers have to put up with that.