Gas Leak in 90hp rude

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 94 90 hp rude that I have not taken out in a couple of years but did have the carbs rebuilt about 4 years ago. I ran the gas out last year and fogged the engine. I started it up last night after changing the gas filter and appeard to be good, this morning we were going to take it out to the lake and gas was leaking from a hole above the lower port carb. I am guessing this is an overflow hole if the bowl is full. I noticed when the engine was running there was gas flowing out of another hole (small pipe probably not the jet cuz those should be inside the carb area) while the other carbs were running dry. I tried to rev the engine up a bit to see if it would clear out but nothing. I did not want to rev too much while on a hose.

I am guessing something is stuck but not sure. I really wanted to take it out to the lake and run it hard hoping it would unstick but probably not a good choice leaking gas and all.

Any ideas? I really do not want to drop a ton of money in this thing again.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gas Leak in 90hp rude

DSCN0951.JPGDSCN0950.jpg

Correction, it is a 96 rude. I took a closer look and noticed the leak was coming from the lower port carb. I was able to get some pics of the holes. the top left pic shows the small pipe inside teh carb area that gas will come from. All the other carbs are dry. the seond pic shows the hole towards the top right of the pic. Let me know if anyone has an idea of a fix............easy for me to do. I really do not want to take it to a Marine $peciali$t if you know what I mean. If so does anyone know a low overhead person in the Dallas Area that can take a look?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Some one with more experience will hopefully chime in but that sounds like a float needle not seating fully and letting excess fuel into the bowl. Try tapping the carb bowl lightly and see if it will seat. Good luck

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

So we removed the lower part of the cowl and was able to take off the float casing and moved the float around. Good news is the gas leak seemed to have stopped but now we are getting a low oil alarm. This came at a sudden so I think it may be a fluke but not sure. Any ideas to see if we can remedy this?