1997 Force 120

alion

Cadet
I bought this motor new and the question just came up. I presume the factory put the fuel filter in originally (between the tank and the fuel pump) but I've read in the forum that the filter should be spliced in after the pump, before the carburetor's fuel block. What do you say?:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1997 Force 120

Hi, alion.

Welcome to iboats. :)

If there is contamination in the fuel I don't want it going through my fuel pump, I want it removed before the fuel gets to the pump.

With modern fuels a water separating filter is highly recommended, and it should go between the tank and the pump, even before the primer bulb.

Good luck. :)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I use a water/fuel separator between the fuel pump and the tank. I also use a small clear inline filter between the pump and carburetors "just in case". This set up has worked well for the past 4 years.

alion

Cadet

Thanks to you both for your replies...I have a 10 micron spin-on separator and I am in agreement about removing sediment before the pump. If the pump can handle it, I think the separator, fileter before AND after may be a good idea. Thanks again.