Help on motor

sdrinkman

Cadet
so i got a evinrude 6 hp and got new needle new float had a mechanic tune it. when i got on the lake, when i open it up it it dies after about 30 seconds unless i keep pumping the bulb, which it last a little longer but still dies, the float they gave me was a little larger than the original one and plastic not cork, and the grooves dont match up on the float to the carb. had one mechanic tell me to try replacing the gas lines, another one told me i probably have the wrong float, the motor runs good at slow speed or idle its dies after i get going though and its a pain to start after that, any advice?

sdrinkman

Cadet
Re: Help on motor

im not even sure if it has a fuel pump and how do i go about doing that?

puck924

Cadet

Follow the fuel line back from the carb to the fuel pump. Remove the fuel line (from the pump to the carb) fit a socket to the flywheel nut and turn it with an electric drill. Fuel should be spouting frum the pump.

sdrinkman

Cadet

not sure how to find the year or model number. i know if i take the hose off from the carb to the pump and squeeze the bulb gas comes out of it....

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like the wrong float to me. When you go fast, you're probably runnin it outta gas. If that float isn't droppin properly, it won't pull the needle open to let more gas in.

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

not sure how to find the year or model number. i know if i take the hose off from the carb to the pump and squeeze the bulb gas comes out of it....

Check on the engine block for a silver plug with numbers on it.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

All outboards after around 1960 have a fuel pump. And it does sound like a fuel supply issue or a binding float.

sdrinkman

Cadet

i know its somewhere around 1975-79 im pretty sure i dont see any numbers

fireman57

Captain

squeezing the primer bulb is the test for a bad fuel pump because it will override it. follow your fuel line where it comes into the engine and it will go straight to the fuel pump. unhook the line from the pump to the carb and turn it over and see if fuel spits out. If it does then you have the wrong/improperly installed float.

sdrinkman

Cadet

thank you i will hit it hard in the morning, i also read online that if you can blow into the out part of the pump there should be no air going through but mine does.....