1970 60 hp Hydro electric shift johnson intermittent spark no start

Tom Slick

Recruit
Help somebody!!! My 1970 Johnson 60 hp with hydro electric shift didn't start today after running it yesterday. I washed my boat down good and now it only has spark when it the key is either first switched on or off, not when constantly cranking. It fires to different cylinders too. Good battery, new plugs and all gears worked. It also has 150 compression in all 3 holes. The amplifier was replaced with a delta by previous owner. I am ready to park it and move on! It ran so good though.

jayyyy

Seaman
Re: 1970 60 hp Hydro electric shift johnson intermittent spark no start

I had a 1971 60hp rude. and either the coil or powerpack would go out every 4-7 years. At first the mechanics would tell me to replace the coil and powerpack together. After some years I noticed it did not increase the lifespan of either to replace together. I always kept a known good coil and powerpack in the boat if it crapped out just replace one or other till it runs. A good chance one of those is acting up on your motor, sometimes when they go out you get very intermittent unusual symptoms, good luck.

05blastsrt4

Seaman Apprentice

sounds to me like a new powerpack(amplifier) is needed. I went through the same thing a couple months ago.

Tom Slick

Recruit

I was hoping it was not the amplifier......2-300 bucks! Anyone know where to get the best price? Thanks for helping with your answers!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'm not sure about the amplifier but the last time I needed a power pack I went to my dealer and he had a OMC one and an aftermarket one for half the price. I was surprised my dealer had the AM one so I bought it and it worked fine. So maybe start there.