Mercruiser Exhaust Elbow Gasket ? Pix attached

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,

I am posting my question here in hoping some one can help me confirm if the exhaust elbow gasket I have ordered for my Mercruiser is the right one.

In the pictures attached, the gasket on the right was removed from the motor when the exhaust elbow was removed. It appears to be made of stainless sheet metal with orange silicone sealant embedded on the mating surface. Of course, you can see from the picture, small section of the silicone sealant was peeled off during the removal process. As the result, I contacted my local shop and based on the serial number of my motor, they provided the gasket on the left. The replacement gasket is not made of stainless sheet metal. I?m a little concern if the paper like new gasket will be able to hold against water pump pressure.

My motor serial number L642848. It?s a Mercruiser 5.0L from year 2000.

Thanks!!

B

Attachments

• P1050549.JPG
    P1050549.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1050550.JPG
    P1050550.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 0

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser Exhaust Elbow Gasket ? Pix attached

Hi,

I am posting my question here in hoping some one can help me confirm if the exhaust elbow gasket I have ordered for my Mercruiser is the right one.

In the pictures attached, the gasket on the right was removed from the motor when the exhaust elbow was removed. It appears to be made of stainless sheet metal with orange silicone sealant embedded on the mating surface. Of course, you can see from the picture, small section of the silicone sealant was peeled off during the removal process. As the result, I contacted my local shop and based on the serial number of my motor, they provided the gasket on the left. The replacement gasket is not made of stainless sheet metal. I?m a little concern if the paper like new gasket will be able to hold against water pump pressure.

My motor serial number L642848. It?s a Mercruiser 5.0L from year 2000.

Thanks!!

B

The "paper like gasket" is actually graphite over a S/S core. That is the "new and improved" replacement that needs no sealant and actually are considered re-usable (but I don't re-use them). They hold just fine on my 454 BBC, soooo, a 5.0 should be no problem.

PS: There is basically very little to no pressure there (if risers are in decent condition), as it is on the discharge side of the raw water system.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser Exhaust Elbow Gasket ? Pix attached

Thanks!!