Help 1974 30' Sea Ray Weekender 300 SRV

SHANENATAS

Recruit
I might buy this boat for 2500.00, it is dry docked and ran last year. He will start it for me before I buy it. Inside is fine I want to update it, no biggie, wood needs restained no biggie again. What should I look for so I know I'm not buying a lemon? I never owned a boat before. It is also a V drive, the props come out of the bottom of the boat. I know transom, stringers, and manifolds are important. Can you guys give me some pointers on how to tell the good from the bad? He told me he did work to the 351 Fords last year, and had someone do something to the drives I think, because he didn't know enough to do it himself. When I looked at where the water heater was I didn't see signs of water or water lines. Walking around the entire boat, top and inside all seemed sturdy. The inside still has the 70's paneling and orange carpet with a furry cream ceiling. I have already took tons of pix from google on what I can do to update it, including LED lights, flat screen, maybe A/C. It has a judson engine syncronizer which I read can throw off the voltage, so I might remove that or check it with a meter if I buy it. Already downloaded Fugawi for navigation and other cool toys for the boat. No trailer btw, I want to bring it home to work on it, I live 15 minutes away and can take back roads with this huge awesome boat. Will be pulling it with 01 Navigator 5.4 32 vavle InTech, if I can find, rent, or borrow a trailer. Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx,
Shane

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help 1974 30' Sea Ray Weekender 300 SRV

You need to get a professional to survey the boat. You're getting a great deal on a very high quality hull, but a boat such as this can be an endless money pit. Know what you're getting into first. At this price, you can afford to put some $ into it.

As far as moving such a boat, it's too large to be pulled by your truck. Rental trailers for such a boat are also rare--in the hands of professional boat movers. It's best if you work on it where it is, or have it pulled out of the water at a boat dock that will allow you to rent space while you work on the boat.

Good luck. The SeaRay's of this vintage are such great boats that they deserve to be rescued by someone like yourself.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Just have it transported to your home by a boat mover. It isn't very expensive and certainly MUCH cheaper than renting space at a marina for an extended period. I've had it done and it's simple- they told me how many cement blocks and what dimensions/how many pieces of lumber to buy, then hauled it here and set it up in my driveway.

Do I assume that this boat is currently dry-docked and can't be water tested? If that's the case, in all honesty I wouldn't pay that much for it. Searay made good boats, but this puppy is over 30 years old. Starting the motors and running at idle tell you nothing about how they run, possible overheating or transmission issues, etc. V-drives are expensive to repair as the engines have to be pulled to get at them.

If you're determined to buy and restore this boat, at least have the hull professionally surveyed. A trained surveyor will be able to spot water infiltration in transom and stringers. Good luck!

SHANENATAS

Recruit

Thanks for the info I REALLY appreciate it.

SHANENATAS

Recruit

I greatly appreciate your advice too. I want this boat bad, it seems like such a great deal. I thought the same thing though, not much you can tell at idle. It is dry docked and right next to the water. I need to find out how much it would be to drop her in the water, and see how much to hire a professional to move it to my house, which is only 20 minutes away. Thanks again, you both have givin me something to think about.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool hull. I don't know though, fixing that thing up is gonna really drain your wallet.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

don't buy any toys (TV, radar, LED) or do cosmetic interior work, until you have it running on the water. "It's not the whistle that pulls the train."

Except maybe the orange shag carpet. That should be the first to go.

Once you have it running and moored, you can work on the interior at your leisure, and use it in the meanwhile. Boats are not "done" in a day. or ever. But if it's land bound, you (and your family and neighbors who have to look at it) will become frustrated, all work and no play.

SHANENATAS

Recruit

Okay, my buddies Dad, who has owned a lot of big boats, even boat all kinds of equipment to restore them and gel coat, anyway is going with me to inspect it. I am currently negotiating a price with a professional inspector and boat hauler. Got prices to hoist it in the water and storage. Now I have a few dumb questions. What are the "partial shade" things on top of the boat called and who has a used one I can buy if I buy this boat? Second, what is the snap on fitted tarp thing called that protects the open part of the boat only? Not a huge cover the whole boat tarp. I know, search through the forum newbie, right? lol

Got one answer I was looking for- bimini top

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The partial shade things you're talking about are called bimini tops. You can buy them at a ton of sights on the net including here on Iboats. It'll run between $150 and $400 depending upon the style, type of material, size, and shape. You may also be able to find a fitted cover on the internet. That will protect the seats (that you are probably going to have recovered) from the elements.