73 Reinell Rebuild

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice
So I have decided to make rebuilding this old Reinell Tri-hull boat my new project / challenge for the next few years since I figure that is about how long it will take. I call it a challenge because I know nothing about fiber glass, or boat terminology. The only boat experience I have is helping my step dad rebuild his boats, when I was like ten. :rolleyes:

018.jpg024.jpg023.jpg020.jpg015.jpg

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 72 Reinell Rebuild

021.jpg025.jpg017.jpg016.jpg

So the floor is rotted out, the transom is rotted out, its parts are in the bow, the rollers on the trailer need replaced and the motor wont go in reverse. :facepalm: Lucikly im worried about how long this project will take or how much it will cost. I just think it is a very neat old boat that needs a new lease on life. But I will need lots of help and advise.
The first step I took today was getting a storege unit for all the junck in my gerage so that it can act as my shop. I see myself spending alot on new tools in next few years! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

So are you prepared to spend $1500 on a boat that's worth $200???

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice

Sure! It will hopfully be worth allot more than that when im done with it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not really... Those old Tri-Hulls are Not big money makers even when restored to Pristine Condition. If it has sentimental value and you want have a nice boat for you personal use for years to come then it's a good project. But if you're looking to get a return on your money then.... I would not expect that to happen.

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice

No just a good future family lake fishing boat. Not planning on selling it. And it sort of has sentimental value in the fact that its an old tri-hull like dads was. Plus I got the boat and trailer free so I cant complain. I'm hoping when im nearing the end to build up the bow and put a swivel pedestal seat and live well for myself and run a foot control trolling motor on it, I sure hope it works.

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to Iboats! (I always wanted to say that)

I say if you?re looking for a project, and you?re not in a hurry, why not? But then again, I?m a little biased. I?ve been working on a 1974 Reinell with a very similar hull shape and design for about a year now, off and on. The good thing is you already know that it?s a complete gut job. I learned that the hard way. Woodonglass is pretty close with the money give or take. Some of that will depend on where you get your materials. I struck out locally, so shipping really raised my overall cost. I used USComposites for most of my materials. Good prices and very helpful.
As stated, I wouldn?t count on it being a financial investment. You may not get back what you put into it if you wanted to sell it. But if you take your time and do it right, you?ll have a really solid boat that should last you a long time for a lot less than you could buy one for. Plus you?ll have the satisfaction of knowing that everything was done right, because you did it yourself.
Before you tear too much into it, I suggest you read, read, read! Ask a lot of questions, and heed the advice you get here. This place is an incredible source of information. There is no better place to learn the ropes of boat building on the internet.

Good luck and have fun!

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 73 Reinell Rebuild

Well I have had the boat sitting on a hill for 3 days and it is still slowly draining water. And I know I will be removing the foam out of the hull. But how do I replace it and what should I use? Also how tall should the stringers be, and how do I make them? Same goes for the transom... Where do I get the wood?

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice

If I'm planing on filling the damaged areas on the hull and repainting should I do this before the stringers, deck and transom are replaced and its just and empty shell?

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I have had the boat sitting on a hill for 3 days and it is still slowly draining water. And I know I will be removing the foam out of the hull. But how do I replace it and what should I use? Also how tall should the stringers be, and how do I make them? Same goes for the transom... Where do I get the wood?

You can try to drain the water if you want. But if this is a total gut job (and it sounds like it is) you can get the water out when the foam comes out. My boat was dripping water for six months before I got the foam out.

Be careful when removing your deck, Reinell's seem to have a knack for building up thick areas of resin where the deck meets the hull (do a search on deck removal). After the deck was removed, I was able to pop out big chunks of the foam with a shovel (just be sure you don't put too much stress on the hull). Then smaller tools to get the rest. You can buy two part pourable foam to replace it when the time comes. There are a lot of threads on pouring foam here.
When you get the foam out, you will be able to get to the stringers. If they are like mine were, they will only be covered in glass at the bow end. If they are intact at all, you should be able to get a measurement. You can rebuild them with layers of plywood. The thickness will depend on the originals. Same with the transom. Measure everything. Stringers, transom, supports... width, height, length - the distance between them, where they start and stop and so on. Measure everything. You should be able to draw a diagram of everything you remove. It will make it much easier to put back together. Did I mention to measure everything. Once you've done some demo and have some measurements, it will be easier to answer some of your more specific questions on rebuilding.

If I'm planing on filling the damaged areas on the hull and repainting should I do this before the stringers, deck and transom are replaced and its just and empty shell?
It's hard to say without seeing the actual damage. But after you pop the cap of, and before you rip everything out, it would be a good idea to strap the hull in place in a couple of spots. This will help retain the shape while you are working on everything else. Also, if your trailer doesn't give you enough support, you may want to build a cradle or some type of support structure so the hull doesn't bend and get out of shape while you're working on it. When you get to that point, pictures of the damaged areas will be helpful in getting specific information regarding the repair.

You have a lot of general questions. It will be easier for everyone here to help when you have some specifics questions and some pictures to work with.

I would suggest you do a search on tri-hulls, and pick three or four or six threads to read. Also, Oops' "hull extension with pics" thread has a ton of information. Search and read, search and read.

You rebuild a boat the same way you eat an elephant - one bite at a time.

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice

My trailer definitely is not supportive enough for this project! I Have to replace some rollers on the trailer anyway. So does anyone have design ideas for a boat cradle that is relatively inexpensive?

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice

I will be sure to get more detailed pics in the morning for guys.

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, RT-1500, same as mine, only one year older.

I agree that the trailer isn't going to give you enough support to walk around and demo the inside of the hull. There was a thread just last night of a cradle someone made with 2 x 4s.
Most all of the damage doesn't look too bad. But I'm not sure about the keel damage. You might do some searches on Keel Repair and see what you come up with. Maybe someone here with more knowledge can give their opinion on that.

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice

So today I took the last load of junk out of the garage and out to the storage unit, so now I have a shop to use for my boat project. And I plan on figuring out the yardage I will need for carpet and upholstery.

Last night I got a few swatches ordered for the vinyl and carpet. As well as the repair manual for the motor.

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice

For those of you who dont already know about my new boat project two weeks ago I picked up a boat free! Here is a little information about it: 1973 15' Reinell Tri Hull, Model RT-1500 1465 lbs capacity. The Motor is a Evinrude 85hp year is unknown, its eighter a 72-73.

Now here is where things get tricky, so its a good thing I have decent knowlege about boat construction.
At first look the damage didn't look to bad, but after digging a little deeper. I pulled up the flooring vinyl because I could feel a soft spot in the deck. Throught the fiberglass I could eisily see that it was rotted. So I had Cliff grab my skill saw and I cut about a 1' square out of the fiberglass and pulled it up to discover that the wood decking is about the consistancy of wet coffee grounds. So I took the claw end of a hammer and ripped through until I hit the float foam in the hull. I steped on it and found that its holding water like a really big spong.
After removing the motor I took a knife and found the the transom is in the same shape. GGRRR. So judging by the transom and deck it pritty safe to asoome that the stringers are in the same shape. The begining of my journey with this boat will be me removing the cap and gutting it out to a fiberglass shell. Im thinking while the shell is empty will the best time to flip the hull sand it down patch and repaint. Before I work on rebuilding the deck and transom.
I guess I can work on the upholstry in the house when the weather is bad. Or work on the motor when Cliff is here to watch my little Erin princess. ;)
It acures to me you might be wondering what is wrong with the motor. Well im told that it runs but wont go in revers but when I remved to lid I highly dought that it runs at all right now. Rebuild a boat motor can be alot like rebuilding a transmission so this auta be fun! JK

jacobsenranch

Seaman Apprentice

That's easy, if it's electric shift (push-button control box) it's a '72. '73 if it's a mechanical shift.

Well shoot that means I ordered the wrong repair manual. Because I know its electric shift so its a 72 and I ordered one for a 73.