Mercruiser shift cable replacement

bowenboater

Recruit
Is it possible to buy only the inner steel cable for the lower shift cable. The inner cable piece in the picture below with the metal stopper on it.

I want to try to avoid having to replace the entire cable as it was just the actual cable that was damaged.

Is it possible and is it a good idea or should I just replace the whole thing?

Any advise would help.

W-21710-Alpha-1-shift-cable.jpg

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser shift cable replacement

I don't think so, I have only ever seen it as a complete cable with ends and all. I think it would be harder to just replace the inner core then it would be to replace the hole thing.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think so, I have only ever seen it as a complete cable with ends and all. I think it would be harder to just replace the inner core then it would be to replace the hole thing.

If I am not mistaken, the drive has to come off even to replace the inner core. I agree with solar, besides this way you can replace any cracked bellows while it is apart.

RenkenII

Seaman

I just did mine on a my '87 Renken. All it takes is a small crack in the outter of the old cable and your screwed. Spend the time and replace it all. You wouldn't want the cable to bind in the old outter cable either! That would be frustrating. Make sure you have a long socket or the Mercruiser tool to change the shift cable. I was able to use a 4" socket which saved some cash and now I don't have to worried about and it shifts like new.