water in cylinders of ford 302

roger302

Cadet
1st time here, I bought an 89 four wins 18ft bowrider, omc with ford 302 great shape, 480hrs. ran great for 50hrs, started running rough, missing, tried some dry gas, worked for a while. Same thing the other day, missing again tried dry gas, could not get above 1500rpms or it would die. Engine was running at idle gave some gas and it backfired and would not turn over. Pulled #4 plug water, pulled rest of plugs some dry some wet on both side. Pulled starboard side exhuast manifold, dry, riser gasket, good. Need some help before I take anything else apart

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: water in cylinders of ford 302

Shouldn't start tearing stuff apart yet, it's possible you have a simple problem, the water may just be an effect of the backfire. You need to get the water out of there, pull the plugs and dump some oil down the carburetor while cranking the starter, it may make a mess blowing oil out the plug holes but otherwise the valves and cylinders will begin rusting pretty quick, solve the problem and get the motor running again quick. Could be simple as a new set of points.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Shouldn't start tearing stuff apart yet, it's possible you have a simple problem, the water may just be an effect of the backfire. You need to get the water out of there, pull the plugs and dump some oil down the carburetor while cranking the starter, it may make a mess blowing oil out the plug holes but otherwise the valves and cylinders will begin rusting pretty quick, solve the problem and get the motor running again quick. Could be simple as a new set of points.

Agreed.. if the engine did any dieseling you likely sucked water in through the exhaust. But get the water out ASAP and get oil on the internals... Inf you don't I can send you a pic of what a 302 that had water sit in the cyl looks like!

roger302

Cadet

Makes sense to me now, will ask first next time. Thanks

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

If you have the exhaust off and it has not been inspected yet now is a good time. pull the risers off and inspect water jacket thickness. And ALWAYS use new gaskets on a clean surface. That goes without saying I hope