Trailer Axle Replacement

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
My work bringing my boat back to life is at a temporary halt because of a 3-week wait for new control cables. Time to visit the trailer. Looking at the under-side, the axle looks kind of ratty and may need to be replaced.

Is this a job that can be done safely with the boat on the trailer (and I'd probably replace the leaf springs at the same time)? The boat in question is 15'-6" aluminum, motor off, w/weight about 300 lbs.

I know 300 lbs. probably isn't all that much to most of you guys, so you'd probably say just slide it off the trailer anyways to make the work easier. However, my space is limited and for me, 300 lbs. seems to weigh a lot more than it did 20 years ago.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Axle Replacement

Jack and block the trailer by the frame just behind the rear spring shackles. Let the tongue rest on the tongue jack. Remove the wheels and drop the axle. I always wonder why people think you cannot do this work with the boat on the trailer. You go down the road at highway speeds with the boat on the trailer, why not work on it while it it is sitting in your yard on blocks rather than on the wheels. The blocks are merely taking the place of the wheels for the time being.