Alpha one outdrive ujoint issue

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I removed the drive spline from one alpha one and put on my other, newer outdrive. The newer outdrive looks great inside, however, the ujoint when pushed out showed a kind of grittyness inside the needle bearing caps, not clean and shiny.

There seemed no slack or damage in any way, the ujoint is tight, and since I did not want to spend more money/time right now, I put the outdrive on the boat and would like to use it for the rest of the season before having to replace the entire ujoint with new.

Is it likely to hold up a while or do I need to bite the bullet on this.
Thanks

winterfunguy

Seaman
Re: Alpha one outdrive ujoint issue

If both alphas are the same gen, gen 1 or gen 2, there should be no problems with swapping the input shafts, they may even be the same between the gen 1 & 2. Measure the length of both to be sure though.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Define awhile??? The U-joint will not self destruct on the first revolution.....if it is "gritty" then it isn't long (I know now define long...) for this world. When you factor in the cost of the damage done when they let go better to fix sooner than later....the harder and faster you run it the shorter the life will be.....the bullet is better bitten then shot through one's foot.....that'll just be another HOLE in the hull.....

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I suspect I will soon, then, replace the ujoint.
Does anyone have a link or best place to get the parts at a reasonable cost.......can one use automotive ujoints that would interchange for less money?
thnx

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suspect I will soon, then, replace the ujoint.
Does anyone have a link or best place to get the parts at a reasonable cost.......can one use automotive ujoints that would interchange for less money?
thnx

Go to NAPA, you get them same day and they are cheap

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you spent some time looking around and reading the stickies, you wouldn't have to ask that question.

I would suggest you replace them before you head to the water. While they may last for a trip or two, if they don't and fail, they normally destroy the gimbal housing, bellows and the upper gear box.
But hey, it's your choice if you want to chance it.

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all, appreciate the input on parts and other tips, will do the obvious from here on in.