New temp gauge.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I bought a new 7 piece eclipse boat gauge set and upon arrivel I noticed that the temp gauge needle is on about the 200 degree mark.
I haven't installed it and was just wondering if this is normal for a new temp gauge?
I looked on the back to see if I could adjust it but cann't.
Thanks guys.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: New temp gauge.

Many gauges "float" when not in use. That means after turning off the ignition the gauge may settle anywhere on the scale. The minute you apply +12 volts and ground to the gauge it will jump to the bottom of the scale.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I wondered the same thing when I got my new (to me) gauges.. some were floating around in the middle. Like Silvertip said, you can hook those things to a battery with some test leads and they should all jump one way or the other, depending on which gauge, except for the volts which will just show you your actual voltage. I did that with mine to make sure they were all responsive, and they were.. no worries. You can try that little test to make yourself feel better....

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys but I have a problem.
I'm going today to pick up a voltage reader because when I hooked up the new gauges I either have a bad connetion or wired something wrong.
So I hooked them up and tried to turn the key and I got nothing, no volts not even a click. I did see the gauges move for one split second but the volts didn't move, so I searched and even tried a jumper wire to the egnition, she tryed to turn over but the battery started smokin :eek: and still never got any volts on the gauge. Please, wish me luck, this stuff is so agrivating.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Bad/corroded battery cable connections is one possibility. Dead/dying battery is another. Check and clean the battery cables. There are two ends to each cable so cleaning just one does not good if the other end is bad.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought of the battery an charged it but no luck and the ends look good so its something I did.
I'm considering just rewireing the boat. Might be easier than trouble shooting this.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What size wire Can I run from the battery to the ignition and from their to my gauges? It's about a 10 ft run, and also what size for the ground? I have 16 gauge, is that alright to run?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That's not the way gauges are wired. Gauges are wired off the ignition switch as you stated. But +12 volts comes up the wire harness from the battery to the "B" terminal on the switch. In the RUN position, +12 volts then goes out of the switch on the "A" terminal to the gauges. +12 volts from the battery goes to the fuse panel. 16 gauge wire is ok for nearly every device on the boat except for trolling motors and other high current draw items.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Silvertip, I got her figured out.
It's so nice to see everything working and she fires up with the first turn of the key.
I didn't have the circut completed on the Ignition posts on the back of the gauges.I had a wire to each post but was missing that last wire that coonects them all to each other and then I had the ignition wire wired in the wrong prong on the back of the ignition switch.
Took me forever to figure this out. Thanks again for your help.