Tubing with a pontoon

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just was wondering what the best way to hook up a rope for tubing to a pontoon is? Can I just tie onto the tie-down eye's?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Tubing with a pontoon

Better to get some eyes mounted to the rear of the deck , making sure you go though a crosmember, the bow eyes are welded to .080 aluminum and really don't like to have a cross pull on them, they will bend and eventually crack and leak.

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, you wouldn't happen to have any pics to see how this is done, would you??

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

I use this tow harness and I used to attach it to the eye holes on the rear of the pontoons, but this wonderful forum inspired me to think better of that practice as I totally agree with 5150 and others who profess this. I don't have an actual photo of my new setup, so I created a facsimile to show you where I now attach the harness, which keeps the tow rope off the engine and away from the prop. I attached two u-bolts to the rear. After months of tubing with a two-seater towable, I see no stress on the connection at the boat, although the addition of an actual tow bar is the most preferable way. Good luck.

Attachments

• Tow_harness1.jpg
    Tow_harness1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3312a.jpg
    100_3312a.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 0

I have been shopping pretty hard for pontoons lately and asked dealers the same question. Each told me to get a ski tower that mounts over the top of the motor. That way the tow rope doesn't get caught/tangled in the motor.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The ski tower is a great solution but very pricey compared to the U-bolts.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Those U-Bolts fastened to the fence. Are they sturdy enough?

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally got the new pontoon home! There are no bow eyes welded on the toons, but there are these U-bolts that are attached to the decking. Would it be alright to attach a tube to these??? Thanks

100_3712.jpg

100_3713.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yep. Might need a nice long harness, but you'll have no trouble figuring something out.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Those eyelets should be perfect for what you need.

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help! This site sure is a big help!